26- I Never Asked For Anything

Nwanyieze's POV~

Song-Paradise by Coldplay

Maduka rises from his seat when I walk into the sitting room, a smile on his handsome face. It's almost funny how his presence makes the room feel smaller; it's like the ceiling is now lower, the walls closer than before. His suit and tie are gone from his outfit, sitting on the couch next to him. His top shirt buttons are undone and his sleeves are rolled up. I smile back in return, searching his face for signs of pity.

Maybe he's here because he feels sorry for me, the orphan girl with secrets he's better off never knowing about? The thought makes me a bit wary.

"An amazing outfit, but I like the wearer better," he tells me.

I suddenly want to giggle until my cheeks hurt. My gown is sleeveless and floral, with green, blue and yellow flowers against an orange background. I had made it last week; it had taken me two nights because my nightmares had returned and instead of moping around, I had dug the material (which I bought from Yaba market a year ago) out from my box and gotten myself to work.

"Thanks for both," I reply.

At the door, I slip my feet into my brown sandals. After walking around in tight shoes, my feet need some rest.

Mama Uju walks in, Adanna following right behind her.

"Nwa," she says in her high-pitched voice, "Ice cream coming back."

"Of course, my love," I reply, picking her up for a kiss.

"She's serious about pronouncing your Igbo name," Mama Uju says with a laugh.

"It's a good thing, okwa ya?"

Adanna nods in agreement. She notices Maduka and her face lights up with recognition. She stretches her arms towards him. "Uncle! Build castle now?"

Maduka takes her into his arms. "Not today, sweetheart. Nwanyieze and I are going out. But next time we'll build a very huge castle, okay?"

And suddenly they go into a conversation, actually making plans, so serious that Mama Uju and I stand and stare in surprise. He listens to her speak, nods in agreement while she gesticulates with her little hands.

"Okay," she finally says after two whole minutes.

"Okay," Maduka concludes. "Let's shake hands then."

They shake hands to seal their deal before he places her on her feet, and she walks over to the corner of the room where her toys lie.

"Are you ready?" Maduka asks.

"That's supposed to be my question."

"No be small business deal oh," Mama Uju laughs.

I tell her good bye, but Adanna is too busy with her toys so I allow Maduka to lead the way out of the flat.

"Have you ever seen the beach at night?"

"No."

"Good. That's our destination. I've always wanted to take you there."

I say nothing when we get into the car.

"Don't you want to go to the beach? I'll let you choose another destination," he says after five minutes of driving with me in silence.

"No, I'd like to go to the beach," I reply. I'm still trying to figure him out, trying to see if he's here just because he feels sorry for me and wouldn't want to cut off ties with me abruptly.

"Did you have a good week? How is Mr. Adeyemo?" His lips curve upwards in a grin and my eyes linger on the five o'clock shadow covering his jaw.

I laugh out loud, remembering the pleasure I had felt to see the fear in my lecturer's eyes when he spotted me, seated on the front seat in his class. I had gotten the marks I so well deserved, 27/30.