Chapter 1: Hijacking

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Raven asks as she walks behind Damian.

He leads her through the garage, almost dragged, where Kori's green car is parked. Damian has the keys, to which he took from the kitchen counter while Kori wasn't looking. They jingle in his hand as he opens the door to the driver's seat, much to Raven's displeasure. Still, she keeps a lookout just in case someone enters the garage. She really hopes Kori doesn't catch them trying to break into her car.

"We can get into trouble," she says.

"Don't worry, I've done this with Father's car," Damian says as he sits in the driver's seat and leans over to open the door to the passenger's seat. "He wasn't happy about it though."

"Kori is not going to be happy when she finds out you're stealing her car," Raven complains as she gets in, shuts the door and puts on the seatbelt. Her hand immediately grasps the handle tightly. She doesn't know if Damian can really drive a car. She just hopes they don't crash into a tree.

Damian rolls his eyes. "Relax. I'm borrowing it, not stealing."

He shoves the key into the ignition and starts the car. Kori's car is very old. Being the heroes of San Francisco, they should have nicer things. But Kori is too humble for that. She settled for a green 1941 Dodge that sputters at the start before continuing to roar loudly. Raven and Raven look at each other. Raven gulps. Both of them are afraid of getting caught by Kori.

Damian once got into trouble for trying to hack into Jaime's scarab, which did not end well. Moral of the story? Try not to hack into an ancient scarab that can end up possessing you as well. The last thing he needs is the red-headed alien princess lecturing him again. He already had enough lip from his father back in Gotham, along with Dick and Alfred. Yet, he misses them, especially Alfred. Raven has seen Damian call Alfred whenever he's in a bad mood. He would ask for advice. That day, she learned that Damian being a pain in the ass is just him unable to express his insecurities to others and decides to lash out instead. At least, he's not his grandfather. Right now, he's been ten times better than that demon.

"We'll be back here before ten," he promises her, "There's nothing to worry about."

Raven crosses her arms. "Saying not to worry is making me more worried."

After the garage door opens, Damian drives the car in reverse. Once they're out of the tower, they proceed to drive away to the city, unaware of a presence lurking around the premises behind the trees.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Raven still asks.

"Do you trust me?"

Raven giggles nervously. "Not when you're behind a wheel."

"I know how to drive."

"You better not crash this car. Otherwise, I'll kill you myself."

Damian smirks again like always. "I'd like to see you try."

*

Raven is still surprised Damian wanted to come back to the fair at all, especially after what happened with Trigon. It seems that he somewhat enjoyed the mandatory fun, as Kori would put it, more than she thought. It even surprised her when Damian wanted it to be just the two of them this time. He finds Garfield irritating. Jaime was all right to hang out with but he prefers being around Raven. He finds her more calming. Raven recalls the way he held her hand when they both ran through hell. Still, Raven doesn't like bringing the topic up. It's best to keep things in the past.

They get in the Ferris wheel. The people below almost look like ants. Raven suddenly becomes dizzy as she looks down. Her hand locks around Damian's arm tightly.