Chapter 4: Conflict

"You two are not leaving the Tower without permission ever again, do you two understand?" Kori snaps at both Damian and Raven as they return to the Tower where Victor, Garfield and Jaime are waiting. Kori is not at all happy with the situation at the police station. Stealing a car. Getting arrested. Getting into a fight in prison. And she had to spend 3 hours filling out the release form for both of them. It was absolutely aggravating for her. And what's worse is that Damian isn't even apologizing. At least Raven said they are sorry for the 8ooth time on the way home but Kori did not receive one apology from Damian. He just sat silently in the backseat looking out the window as if he didn't have anything to say. "The two of you are grounded. No TV for a week. And you will not be going out alone again. Do you two understand?"

Raven nods fearfully and shamefully. She has never seen Kori so angry with them. "Yes, Kori. And we're really sorry. We promise it won't happen again."

"Why should we be sorry?" Damian speaks up after a long time of silence. Victor, Garfield and Jaime stare in disbelief. Damian simply grits his teeth with his arms crossed. "We didn't do anything wrong."

Silence fell. It was awkward for everyone in the room. Kori glared at him and Damian glared back. The only thing standing between them was Raven, something many should be glad in order to avoid a physical fight.

"You stole my car, Damian," Kori snaps, "You left the Tower without permission and in the middle of the night when you know that it was dangerous out there after dark. What if something happened to you? To both of you? Didn't you think of that, Damian? What about Raven? Did you ever think of her safety?"

"She was safe. Nothing bad happened and we would have been fine if that stupid cop hadn't showed up and arrested us," Damian growls.

"You were lucky that the police called me or you would have to spend the entire night in the isolation chamber."

Victor looks at the three in shock. "Isolation chamber?"

Raven explains it to him. The thought of it makes her shudder. "Damian fought some of the inmates that got too close to mean. He broke a few bones and unfortunately, the cops had to take him to an isolation chamber till he calmed down." She then turned to Kori, trying to defend Damian, "But it wasn't fault. It's mine —."

Damian puts a hand on her shoulder. "Stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault."

"For once, I agree with Damian. You did nothing wrong, Raven." Her expression softens as she said that but it hardens again when talking to Damian. "But that doesn't give an excuse for neither one of you. You are still grounded, for negligence, endangerment and irresponsibility."

"You're not my mother, Kori!" Damian snaps. Raven can sense suppressed anger boiling up in his body and his fists are shaking violently.

"You're lucky that I'm not your mother, Damian. She would be very disappointed of you if she ever found out that you got yourself into trouble —."

"MY MOTHER IS DEAD UNDER WATER, BITCH!" Damian screams in fury but immediately covers his mouth with his hands when those words automatically came out of his mouth. He looks at everyone wide-eyed. Everyone is staring at him in shock, including Raven. "I —." He immediately bolts out of the living room and runs back to his room.

Raven calls back to him. "Damian!" But he is already gone.

"Dios mio," Jaime expresses. "I've never seen him this angry before."

"This is not good," Garfield says.

"I'm calling Dick about this," Kori sighs, "Maybe he can help. He knows how to handle Damian better than I do."