Chapter 5: Fire

Eyes widening, Raven looks over at the window and lets out a piercing scream as a shadowy figure climbs through her window and hops into her room. Luckily, it's just Damian who had the nerve to sneak into her room instead of using the door. Clever. He did this to avoid running into Starfire. It's like what Hermione Granger would say: "What an idiot."

Raven places a hand to her pounding chest and heaves a few breaths of relief. For a moment, she thought it was an intruder. One thing's for sure, Damian scared the living hell out of her. "You scared me to death."

Damian shuts the window and sits down on the edge of her bed. Annoyed, Raven takes her pillow and tosses it at him. Damian quickly swats it away before it hit his face.

"Sorry," he apologizes.

"You should be. You know I don't like being snuck up on," she hisses.

"No, I mean, I'm sorry about snapping at Starfire," Damian says, now looking down at his feet in shame, "You were right, I think I have a problem. I'm always angry. I don't know why. But I can't stop being angry no matter how much I try."

"I think I know why you're angry," she says softly. "Ra's. Your mother. Your father. You think they all abandoned you. First, your grandfather died. Your mother left you with your father only to find out she has been using you as a pawn to manipulate him and had no love for you. Then she tried to have him kill you and then she dies. And now you're here, thinking that no one cares about you anymore. Tell me if I'm wrong."

Damian doesn't say anything. He doesn't even look at her. And it's not just because she's already dressed for bed in a tank top and shorts. He knows that if he looks at her in the eyes, she'll find the answers she needs from him, just by simply looking at him in the eyes. Still, he nods in agreement.

Raven sits up and crawls over to him to the edge of the bed and places her hand on top of his. "You know you're not alone, right?"

He pulled his hand back roughly. "I feel alone. Now I feel like everyone hates me. Even Kori hates me now."

"No, Kori doesn't hate you. Damian, she doesn't hate. She's cranky right now but she doesn't hate you," she repeats to him. "You have to understand that she's trying very hard to take care of us and it's not right to treat her like she's not doing her best."

"So I'm guessing I should apologize to her," He's now looking at her in the eyes. Raven can see that his green eyes are full of sorrow and regret. She slowly nods.

"Yeah," she says, "but in the morning. Everyone is resting. Well, I possibly scared them away with my scream —."

"Hey, Raven, everything all right in there!?" It's Victor knocking on her door, startling them both.

"I'm fine! I just had a nightmare about a stalker sneaking into my room," she says while giving Damian a smirk while he gives her the stink eye, "but I'm good now."

"Okay, I'll be down the hall if you need me," he says.

"Thank you, Vic."

They wait in silence until they hear Victor's footsteps fade down the hallway.

"Really? I'm stalking you?" he asks in a whisper so no one can hear them.

"You did just enter my room through the window so yeah." She chuckles. Damian simply huffs and lies down on her bed. Raven lies down next to him and puts a hand to his shoulder. "Do you want to watch a movie? You know, take your mind off things aside from covering the walls in your room with holes? I have movies."

"I don't see how a small fragment of entertainment will make me feel better," he says.

"Classic horror movies have always been my favourite," she says while getting up from the bed and heading over to her closet, "I watch them and imagine Garfield being eaten by the monsters." She opens up her closet door and digs through the boxes beneath her clothes. Damian notices that she has very dark clothing. Some of them look 19th century or from the 50's. She probably likes old fashion things. "Let's see. We've got The Cabin in the Woods, the old one not the new one. I didn't like the new one. We got Scream. The Babadook, this one gives me the creeps but I love it anyway; it's psychological horror. Dracula from 1931. Let Me In, another vampire film. A Nightmare on Elm Street. I don't know if you heard of this one."