Chapter 1

Shuffling to the next table Rosalinda tightened her apron and smiled. "Hello, my name is Rosalinda I'll be your server. What can I get for you today?"

The old couple looked up at her and smiled. They were usuals at the diner, always ordered the same thing. Married for thirty eight years and counting with countless grandkids.

"The usual honey, coffee and pancakes with a side of egg whites." He said. His wife nodded and reached out to squeeze his hand gently. Rosalinda nodded and went to go place their orders.

Sherry who worked alongside her blew her a kiss and handed her a hot pot of coffee and a couple mugs. "I think you need to wear two aprons, one for the front and the other for the back; the way you bend over like that, you're going to give a of couple old men in here a heart attack."

Blushing over Sherry's words and walked around the diner filling half empty coffee mugs;Rosalinda began to think about loan papers that were due next week before the semester began. The diner didn't pay her enough for school tuition but, does help with rent and books.

Her father was nonexistent and her mother didn't want anything to do with her so, that left her to fend for herself. Hard work was all she knew; the people who worked at the diner were her family, along with her boyfriend Julian.

"Orders up." The chef called out. Collecting her orders Rosalinda placed them on the corresponding tables.

Hours went by so quick Rosalinda hadn't realized it was night. Waiting her last table she hung up her apron and clocked out. Jerry the owner walked her out as the night shift people came in.

"Get home safe honey." He said as he pulled her in for a tight hug. Jerry was always worrying about her; making sure if she was ok, if she was eating enough, if anyone was being rude to her; he was the closets thing she had to a father.

"I will." Rosalinda waved and walked to the bus stop that was stationed two blocks down. The bus stop was on a main street with a decent amount of light making Rosalinda feel safe. Plucking the lint off her jeans Rosalinda felt exhaustion hit her like a ton of bricks. Her feet painfully pulsate, along with her heartbeat from standing for so long. She's been dying to buy a new pair of sneakers but, it wasn't in her budget at the moment.

The bus took a bit to arrive. Sighing in delight she found two empty seats, sitting in one Rosalinda placed her feet on the other and enjoyed the long bus ride home.

During her ride home she couldn't help but smile, Julian always made sure to pick her up at stop and walk her home to her apartment. Her neighborhood wasn't exactly safe at night so she was glad to have his company. They met in English literature; he took the empty seat next to her and found the courage to ask her out.

Julian was beyond sweet, he was also very handsome. He came from a privileged family, once in a while he would mention to her about paying for a new and better apartment for her to live in, but she refused, she liked her apartment and didn't want to feel like she owed Julian.

Rosalinda disliked taking money from people. She would rather work for it knowing it was rightfully hers, and no one was going to take it away. Now, if Julian were to propose to her than she wouldn't mind living with him, as long as she paid the rent as well of paying for other things.

Thinking about her and Julian sharing a bed together made her flush from head to toe. Julian was more than patient, but these past couple of weeks he's been pretty pushy when it came to intimacy. Yes they kissed and performed oral sex, but they've only been dating from a year, she felt like she hardly knew him. He could be sugarcoating everything. What if she gave him what he wanted? Would he leave her then?