The Truth Comes Out

I really didn't want to hear anything Crew had to say, but I realize she wasn't going to leave me alone anytime soon until she told me whatever she had to tell me. So, I just turned to look at Crew and crossed my arms, waiting for her to speak.

"I get that you're angry," she started. "I mean, I did show up to the bar on Henry's arm without a real explanation other than saying we've been planning to 'go on a date for weeks', then my so called 'date' goes and attacks your boyfriend and now they're both in big trouble."

"What's your point, Crew?" I snapped.

I could physically see her gulp in nervousness. I would like her to get to the point, preferably now.

"The whole thing with Henry got way out of hand yesterday," she began to explain, talking so fast I almost couldn't understand her. "When the team decided to go on a night out, Henry called me just before I left. He told me he had this plan in mind and he wanted my help. He didn't even tell me what the plan was until he picked me up. He told me he wanted to see if he could make you jealous by saying the two of us were possibly dating. I told him it was stupid because you're happy with Monroe, but he insisted he noticed something was wrong with you two. I assumed it was just him being jealous but I went along with it...we didn't mean for Monroe and Henry to fight. I honestly have no idea what happened."

I wasn't sure what to say. Everything felt weird and numb. So Crew was in on the plan to make me jealous. At least Henry wasn't using her. That was something of a relief.

But then what happened with Henry and Jake? Jake claimed that Henry was trying to make me jealous and it wasn't going to work. Did he truly know? Or was he just a profiler doing his job correctly (even if it was just on his girlfriend)?

I ran my hand threw my hair, messing it up. Not like I cared. Right now, I was stuck thinking about my stupid high school-esque drama. Why was I going through this now? I just joined the BAU and now I'm already going through some stupid, Twilight love triangle shit.

God, what is my life?

Crew was fidgeting with her hands nervously. "Haley? Look, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have gone along with it. It was stupid. Say something, please."

She was reaching for me. My first instinct was to bat her hand away. She jumped and recoiled like she was hurt.

"Don't touch me!" I hissed. "Listen, because of you and your little stunt with Henry, I have to go talk to both him and to Jake before the day is out, but trust me, I will deal with you later."

I had to leave before I wrapped my hands around Crew's neck and ended up being our next UnSub.

How could she go along with that? How could she just say "okay, I'll pretend to be your girlfriend to try and make a girl who's already in a relationship and also has been your best friend ever since you two were literally babies jealous"? Even if there was "something wrong" with me and Jake didn't mean Henry could just butt into our lives and try to make me jealous. I thought I knew him. I was wrong.

I escaped to the girl's bathroom and locked myself in a stall. I put my head against the stall door and took deep breaths to keep back the tears. I was so frustrated right now. Why would't I just have a normal life? That included my stupid "genius" genes. Why couldn't I be a normal girl who did normal school and had normal friends and a semi-normal job?

I heard the bathroom door open and I quickly shut my mouth, trying to keep quiet.

"Haley?"

"Martin?" I breathed. "What the hell? This is the girl's bathroom!"

"I'm gay, remember? They're okay with me coming in," he replied. "Where are you? Come out and talk to me."

I took another deep breath and opened the stall door. Martin was leaning against the sinks. The moment I stepped out of the stall, he quickly embraced me. I didn't want to cry, not again. So I took a deep breath and hugged him back.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Crew told me that the whole thing with her and Henry was planned. He wanted to make me jealous. Claimed that he thought something wasn't right with me and Jake or something." I buried my head in Martin's shoulder. "Because she agreed to his stupid plan, they could've been killed or fired or...or something. Why couldn't she just say no?"

Martin didn't speak. He just squeezed me a little tighter and I squeezed him in return.

"This is such a stupid high school drama situation," I said, muffled by his shirt. "Why are they all like this? They're in their 30s! Except Henry."

Martin sighed. I could suddenly feel his heart accelerate. I pulled away to look up at him, only to see that he wouldn't meet my eye.

"Martin," I said. "Why are you so nervous? What's wrong?"

Martin looked at the floor and rubbed the back of his neck. "I...I don't think you can completely blame Crew and LaMontagne for what happened at the bar last night."

My mouth fell open. "Were you in on their plan, too?!"

"No!" He shook his head frantically. "No I swear I had no idea. I got a text saying watch for the two of them coming together, that's when I rushed over to tell everyone at the table! That's the only time I knew, I swear, Haley. But...but after they walked in, I could tell it wasn't real. They just didn't look like two people who were aspiring to have a relationship. They didn't even talk to each other all that much unless it was for work. So, I got up and...and I went to tell Jake."

I didn't know what to say. My mind just went completely blank. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Instead, I ended up covering my mouth and turning away from Martin. I couldn't look at him right now. I wasn't in any state before, and I definitely was not in a good state now.

"I told him that I had a hunch," Martin quickly jumped in. "I swear to you, all I said was there was something going on with LaMontagne and Crew. I told them they apparently came as a date but I didn't believe that. I swear, I didn't say anything about you or anything. He jumped to that conclusion himself."

Did that mean Jake knew? Did he know that Henry liked me? Did he sense that something was wrong between myself and him and that's why he lashed out?

My blood was boiling. First, Henry thinks he can butt into my life, (especially my love life?!) and tries to make me jealous, then Crew decides to go along with his stupid plan to "make me jealous" and now Martin is telling me that technically, he's the one who caused Henry and Jake to fight.

I wished people would just stay out of my life! If everyone just kept to themselves, I wouldn't be in this situation right now.

Why couldn't everyone on this damn team mind their own damn business?!

"Haley, please speak to me," Martin said.

"Why should I say anything?" I asked. "You and Crew and Henry are ruining my life! I was happy with Jake before, but because of all this I started questioning our relationship! Why couldn't you all just leave me the hell alone!"

I ran for the bathroom door and shoved it open, only to run into Jacob Monroe.