Suspicion

Haley's POV

I stood in the window, watching Jake. He was cuffed to the table and waiting for an officer to come in and interrogate him. Obviously, no one from the team was allowed to interrogate him, especially me. I wasn't even really allowed to watch. So I had no idea why I was standing there, looking into the room where my ex-boyfriend and suspected kidnapper was sat, waiting to be interrogated.

I looked up as a door opened. It was only Brinson. She looked at me and I couldn't read what was in her eyes. I wasn't sure if it was pity or surprise. Or both.

"You shouldn't be here," she told me. "They'll tell you to leave when they get here."

"I know they will," I replied. "I just...I don't know."

Brinson stood next to me and looked at Jake. He was staring down at his hands, but never at the glass. He knew this place well. He knew it was a two way mirror. He just didn't know who was on the other side.

"Do you think he did it?" I finally asked. My voice was small and I was almost surprised when Brinson replied.

"I don't know," she said. "The agent in me understands the evidence; he had motive and we don't know where he was between going home last night and coming in to work this morning. And we don't know when Henry was kidnapped. But, the colleague in me thinks that he must be innocent." I could see the pity in her eyes this time. "Do you?"

I wanted to say no, that Jake would never do this. But that wouldn't be true.

"I have no idea," I shrugged.

Officers entered and looked at myself and Brinson. They didn't have to say anything for me and Brinson to know it was time to leave. We quickly left before they entered the room.

I tried not to make eye contact with anyone in the office. I didn't need to see the pity or the questioning looks. I knew what people were thinking.

Those who weren't part of our team were thinking about the fact that the guy who got into a fight over me at the bar the night before and got suspended had gone missing and now my ex-boyfriend, who had also gotten into a fight over me and was just arrested as a suspected kidnapper, was being questioned for his disappearance. My colleagues and teammates were looking at me with pity, knowing that I had just lost my best friend.

"Reid," someone said. I looked up to see an agent standing in front of me. I tried not to read the suspicious look in her eyes as she told me. "LaMontagne's parents are here. They're insisting on seeing you."

I looked past the agent to see the familiar blonde hair of my godmother. I pushed past the agent and raced to hug Aunt Jennifer. Her hug was warm and motherly. I missed mom for a moment. I should call her soon. Dad too.

"Oh, Haley," Aunt Jennifer breathed before pulling away to look at me. "Are you alright?"

I couldn't help but chuckle a little. "Your son was just kidnapped...and you're asking if I'm alright."

"Haley, I was once an FBI agent, too. I once stood where you stand and had to tell parents about the crime scenes I had witnessed, about their children who were kidnapped or murdered. I know what it's like to be scarred by something like this."

I tried not to cry. I wanted to stay strong for Aunt Jennifer and for Uncle Will.

I gave Uncle Will a tight hug as well and turned to them both.

"Look, I don't think I'm technically supposed to be doing this because I'm close to Henry and I was the one who found out he was kidnapped, but I want to be the one to ask you guys questions," I said. "I can run it by Brinson if need be - "