Interrogation

Ignoring the looks I got as the officer led me to the interrogation room was harder than before. I was getting a lot of looks, a lot of suspicious looks, a lot of triumphant smirks. I never realized how many people had suspected me of being involved with Henry's disappearance until I made that walk of shame to be interrogated.

I sat down across from the unnamed officer and tried to remain neutral. I knew I wasn't involved in Henry's disappearance. I was the one who found out he was kidnapped for God's sake!

"We questioned you about when you last saw LaMontagne," the officer began. "But I don't believe we asked you where you were between leaving the bar last night and coming in this morning."

I had to refrain from smirking as I replied, "Our Technical Analyst Martin Scott helped me out of the bar when Monroe and LaMontagne started fighting. He was my ride there, so he was about to drive me home, but I asked him to take me to my cousin's, Jack Hotchner. That was around 11:30pm. He and his wife, Michelle, were both awake. I spoke to them both. I was there maybe...an hour and a half. Then Scott brought me home, where I slept for the night."

Three hard alibies right there. They could call Jack and Michelle and they would both confirm my story. As would Martin, I had no doubt about that. Whatever this officer had in mind, it was now dashed. I didn't hurt or kidnap Henry. I wouldn't let anyone drag my name through the mud like this.

"What did you talk to your cousin and wife about?" the officer asked.

"I asked them for advice. Michelle has been my best friend ever since she and Jack first met and started dating, and Jack is family. They are two people I feel like I can always turn to when I need help," I explained.

"Help with what?"

I shrugged. "Guy advice. I was shaken up because of the fight, I needed someone to talk to about it that wasn't a colleague."

The officer nodded, but didn't take his eyes off me. I could feel the skepticism in his look.

"Look, if you want to call them and ask, they will confirm my story. I'm not lying to you," I snapped.

The officer raised an eyebrow. "A little snappy, Doctor Reid."

"I apologize, sir, but my best friend was kidnapped and now I'm being questioned interrogated and everyone who isn't a part of my team is looking at me skeptically because my ex-boyfriend is the current main suspect," I ranted. "So yes, I am quite snappy at the moment."

I was given another look. I stared at the one way glass behind the officer. I was hoping someone from my team was there. I hoped they read my pleading look and would come in to help me. They knew I wasn't involved. They had to know.

Just like Jake wasn't involved.

"What was your relationship like with Agent Monroe?"

I tore my eyes away from the mirror and back to the officer. "I'm sorry, could you elaborate?"

The officer grunted. "Your relationship. When you two were dating. Was it loving? Were you two close?"

I had to ponder the question a moment. I guess you could say it was loving. Jake and I were close. I felt happy when I had been with him. I felt all fuzzy inside. I was happy with him, mainly because he was my first ever real boyfriend. And he was nice and kind.

I sighed. "Yes. I guess we did."

"How close were you two before ending your relationship?"

"Pretty close. We would spend time together after work, we were partners for many cases both before and during our relationship. I felt safe and comfortable with him."

"If you felt this way, why did you end the relationship?"

God, again? Didn't I explain this to the officer at Henry's house?

"I wasn't quite sure of my feelings. I knew I liked Jake, but I wasn't quite sure if I loved him. I didn't want to continue the relationship if I didn't feel the way I knew he felt," I answered for what felt like the millionth time. I needed someone to come save me.

Aunt Jennifer? Are you watching? Please know I didn't hurt your son. I would never hurt Henry.

The officer finally picked up a pencil and began writing something down in his yellow notebook. He hadn't broken his hard look the whole time he was interrogating me. He reminded me of Uncle Hotch. It felt like it had been an eternity since I had seen Uncle Hotch. I wonder what he would've thought of this.

Then I thought about mom and dad. I wondered what they were going to say when they found this out. I wondered if Aunt Jennifer had called them when the officer came and got me. If she did, I expected them to come barging into the room at any minute, full agent mode, ready to fight for their daughter.

I tried not to smile at the thought of the officer's face when the badass Melanie Reid and the nerdy, yet equally badass, Spencer Reid came barging into the interrogation room and demanding to know why their daughter was currently being questioned. Even though they didn't always look like former BAU agents, mom and dad could be quite intimidating.

"Did Agent LaMontagne have anything to do with your decision?" the agent finally asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I tried to keep a straight face. "The fight between Jake and Henry did indeed cause me to start thinking this way, yes."

"That's not what I meant, Doctor Reid." There was a hint of a smirk on his face.

"Excuse me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

The officer sat forward at the table and folded his hands together. "Tell me, Haley Reid, where were you after Martin Scott dropped you off last night?"

"I told you, I went home. I fell asleep. I may have taken a shower before hand, but I laid down in bed, read a book for a little bit then fell asleep."

"Really? Is there anyone who could back up this statement?"

I was starting to feel more frustrated.

"I don't know. My neighbors maybe? I don't know if any of them would've been up at that point in time. But Martin certainly could. He dropped me off, I didn't have my car till this morning. I tend to take buses to work anyways. If you'd like more evidence to know I didn't leave my house last night, there was no buses running until this morning."

"No, no buses were running. But maybe you didn't need a bus. Maybe your little boyfriend came over to pick you up."

I put my hands under the table so the officer wouldn't see me starting to shake.

"Maybe he came over to get you so you two could go to LaMontagne's. Maybe you felt guilty for assisting Monroe in this crime this morning and that's why you decided to break up with him, because he forced you to help him get rid of his competition."

"I told the other officer, I didn't see Jake until we broke up this morning," I fought back.

"Yes, but how do we know you're not just saying that? You could be lying to us, Doctor."

I didn't know what to say. I was almost hyperventilating. My head was starting to hurt as I struggled to find a way to fight back, to tell this man that I hadn't hurt Henry. I would never. He was my best friend.

The officer smirked when he noticed that I was tongue tied. "That's what I thought."

He flipped his notebook closed and his smirk disappeared quickly. "Doctor Haley Reid, you are suspended from the Behavior Analysis Unit until further notice. You are also now a suspect in Henry LaMontagne's kidnapping. Don't think about leaving the country anytime soon."