Has Anyone Read The Lovely Bones?

"We have a case." was the first thing Henry said to me when I walked into the BAU the next morning.

"Wow. My first day and I'm already going on a case." I said. "Awesome. Let's go."

He led me to the Conference Room. Henry gave me a quick introduction to everyone. Everyone was already sat around the circular table. There were only two seats left that were both right next to each other. I guess I was sitting next to Henry.

Once Henry and I sat down, Maria Crew stood up and picked up the remote for the large screen in the wall. Brinson began passing out tablets to each of the team members. When she got to me, I declined. Much like my father, I didn't like technology. I'd rather old fashion paper files.

"There have been a string of teen murders in Pennsylvania." started Crew. "But, it's not exactly normal murders. You see, the victims aren't found...whole."

"They've been dismembered." Henry observed.

"Correct." Crew said. "The first victim was Ruth Lancaster. She was 14 years old. She went missing about three week ago after she never returned from school. Her remains were dug up near a corn field and what was left of her matched her description, not to mention the clothes she was wearing that day was found nearby."

"Were the next few victims the same age?" I asked.

"Yes. All the victims are 14, did not return from school, were found dismembered in a hole near a corn field."

"Dr. Reid, you look thoughtful." said Martin Scott. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking our UnSub is recreating The Lovely Bones." I said. Everyone gave me a confused look. "Seriously? None of you have read that book? I read it when I was 9. It's a good book."

"How is the UnSub recreating this book?" Brinson asked.

"You see, the story is about this young girl named Susie Salmon who's from Pennsylvania. She's on her way home from school through her usual short cut, which is through a corn field. She runs into one of her neighbors named George Harvey who makes doll houses for a living. He convinces her to go into this little hiding place he's made underground. When they're down there, he starts talking to her, saying all these creepy things. Susie gets up to go, but he stops her and makes her take off her clothes. He stuffs the pompom of her hat in her mouth to quiet her down and rapes her. When he's finished, he kills her and dismembers her and throws her remains into a sinkhole."

"That sounds terrible." said Karina McBride.

"No, it's quite a good book actually." I said.

"You don't suppose you'd be able to find the underground hiding place in a corn field, do you Dr. Reid?" Brinson asked.

"I think I can. It might take a while." I said.

"Great. Everyone to the jet in twenty."

We all dismissed and went to get ready.

"Hey Haley, uh, Dr. Reid." Henry said. "Um, is it okay if I give you a ride to your apartment? I'd like the hear more about The Lovely Bones. It sounds like a great book."

"Henry, you can call me Haley you know. We are friends." I said. "And I'd love that. I took the subway to work. Not fun. Plus, I can grab the book. I have it in my bookshelf. I can read it to you on the jet."

Henry smiled. "That'd be great."

So, as Henry drove me to my apartment, I told him about The Lovely Bones. I told him about Susie having her own little heaven and helping her father find George Harvey.

He smiled and nodded and would make little comments as I spoke. I got this same kind of reaction out of the people in school whenever I spoke. However, whenever they did it, it was out of boredom and trying to get me to stop. I could tell that Henry was generally interested in what I was saying.

We came up to my apartment. I quickly packed my things and we drove off to the jet. Once we got there and we got all settled away, I decided to call my parents to let them know that I was about to go on my first case.

"Hello?" came my dad's voice.

"Hey daddy. It's me. I'm on the jet about to go to Pennsylvania. I decided to call you guys and let you know how things are going. Is mom there?" I asked.

"Hey sweetheart. Sounds great. I'm so proud of you. Your moms right here. I'll put you on speaker." dad said. "Okay, hun."

"Hi mommy!" I said.

"Hi baby!" came my mom's voice. "How are you?"

"I'm good. I'm going on my first case right now, actually."

"I'm so proud of you, Haley. I knew you'd make the job." mom said. "What's the case about?"

"The UnSub is recreating the crimes from The Lovely Bones. He kills his victims, dismembers them and buries them not too far from a corn feild. Each victim is 14 years old and they never return from school. I'm lucky I read that book because no one else has, so I was the only one who could make that connection."

"You see, I told you getting her into reading at a young age was a good idea." dad said. I chuckled. "Well, be careful, sweetie. Call us when you get home. We'd love to come in and see the BAU again."

"I will. Love you, mom. Love you, dad."

"Bye honey. Love you, too." my mom said.

"Love you, baby." my dad added and we hung up.

As I was putting my phone back in my pocket, Jacob Monroe came over and sat across from me.

"Who was that? The famous Melanie and Spencer Reid?" he asked.

"It was." I replied. "And I'd appreciate it if you watched your tone because we may be colleagues, but I know how to lay you on the ground faster then you can say Haley Emily Reid."

Monroe seemed intimidated. Thanks to Uncle Derek, I really did know how to beat someone up if I needed to. He trained me in karate when I was 10 years old. I had never actually had to use it before, but now that I was on the BAU, it was definitely a good idea.

"Sorry. Didn't mean for it to come out like that." Monroe said. "You know, your parents are legends in the FBI academy. You must've been like royalty when you went there."

"Not really. They treat all their students the same no matter who their parents are." I said. "Is there a reason you came over to talk to me?"

"Okay, obviously, we got off on the wrong foot. Let's try this again. Hi, my name is Jacob Monroe. I'm 25 and I'm from Los Angeles." Monroe said and extended his hand to me.

"Pleased to meet you Jacob Monroe. My name is Dr. Haley Reid, I'm 20 and I'm from Virginia." I said and shook his hand. " I said, shaking his hand. "You know, my aunt is from Los Angeles. She works on the NCIS."

"Small world." Monroe said. "You're only 20? You're so young. Why did you decide to be on the BAU?"

"Well, besides the fact that both my parents were on the BAU, I thought it would be a great job. We're saving innocent people and putting bad people behind bars. Who wouldn't want to do something like that?"

"I'm just saying, most young people would still be in collage trying to do something less...sad."

"I'm not like most young people."

"I've noticed that."

I chuckled. Monroe and I talked the whole flight until we landed in Pennsylvania and we were off to the local police station.