Answering

I stared at my phone for a long time. I didn't know what to do. I knew it couldn't be the real Henry facetiming me. The FBI had his phone as evidence! This has to be some sort of trick, the FBI probably...

Then I remembered, Henry had a second phone. One was his personal phone, one was mainly for work. He was never without his work phone. He must've had it on him when he was kidnapped. And now, the kidnappers were calling me.

"Answer it," mom said, her voice just barely a whisper.

"I can't, it's not Henry - " I started.

"No, but it might lead you to know where he is, or who took him," dad replied. "Answer it, we'll stay out of sight and silent. Gather whatever information you can."

The perks of having former FBI agent parents.

Mom and dad sat just out of view of my camera as I took a deep breath and answered the call.

I was greeted to a black screen, with only a single light in the background creating a silhouette around someone. The person was tied to a chair by their arms and legs and had their head hanging down. I didn't need to see the person's face to know that it was Henry.

"H-hello?" I asked, trying my best to keep my voice even.

"Haley Reid," came a voice. I couldn't tell if it was a male or a female voice. Whoever it was had something to disguise their voice. It sounded warped and inhumane. The person was making it hard to figure anything out. They were smart. "As you can see, we have your friend, agent Henry LaMontagne."

"Who is we?" I asked, gaining a bit of confidence."

"We are known as the Dirty Dozen," the voice replied. "We are hitmen and hackers. Do not let the name deceive you, however. There are much more than just a dozen of us. Much much more."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something move. Sammy had just come down over the stairs and was opening his mouth to speak. Mom's eyes widened as she jumped from the couch and rushed over to cover her mouth. Both her and dad were motionless for a moment, hoping that whoever was on the phone didn't hear her move.

They didn't, however, as they continued. "We have people everywhere, you'd never be able to catch us all no matter how hard you try. We probably have some people inside your little team too. However, it's not your team anymore, is it? You were dismissed this morning, weren't you?"

I felt my heart race. I took a few deep breaths to keep my breathing even.

They did have someone inside the FBI. Someone who knew I had been dismissed. Someone who was telling this "Dirty Dozen" about everything that was going on. They probably knew what was going on there right now.

The FBI was compromised and I couldn't let anyone know without making the rat aware that I knew. Not that anyone there would believe me anyways.

"What do you want?" I asked instead, trying not to focus on that. "Why did you take Henry?"

"Over the years, your little FBI team has arrested, and even killed many of our men. We've decided that we've had enough and now, we're taking yours. Lucky for us, you and that Monroe created the perfect distraction for us to kidnap the first of many. Henry LaMontagne, the heart of the team."

Henry moved at the sound of his name. It was killing me not knowing  what was going on. I didn't know how injured his was, how bad the injuries were. What if he was close to death and I didn't even know?

"I called you, Haley Reid, to give you a fair chance," the voice continued. "I am giving you 24 hours to figure out where your precious Henry LaMontagne is, and to save him. However, it seems as though the luck is on our side, considering the fact that you are now the number one suspect in LaMontagne's kidnapping. No one is going to believe you, will they? Goodbye, Haley Reid."

"Haley - !"

The call ended. I held on to Henry calling my name for a few more moments. I couldn't tell if he was hurt or not, he still had that fierceness in his voice.

"What the hell was that?" Sammy asked once mom let go of him.

"Watch your mouth, honey," mom said, although she wasn't too interested in Sammy's swearing. "You have to call your team, Haley."

"You hear that...person," I told mom. "They won't believe me. I'm one of the key suspects in the investigation right now. No one will believe me, it seems too made up."

"Someone will believe you," dad insisted.

I thought for a moment. Who could I call that would believe me? And that wouldn't squeal to the still unknown rat inside the FBI walls.

Quickly, I went to my contacts and pressed on Martin's name.

I stood. I couldn't sit around anymore. I had to move. I had to burn some of this worry off with something more than just sitting. I paced the living room, waiting for Martin to answer, as mom, dad, and Sammy were now watching me.

I could feel the tension in the room as I paced. I was worried Martin wouldn't answer, he would technically be risking his job by talking to the key suspect during the investigation.

Finally, I heard his familiar voice answer, "Hello?"

"Martin! It's me! Don't let anyone know you're talking to me, okay? Pretend I'm Darren," I explained, hurriedly. I hoped he understood what I said.

"Darren? What's wrong?" he asked. His tone was convincing enough. I sighed with relief. He was still on my side.

"Listen, are you in a room right now with anyone that isn't on the team? Just say yes or no," I told him.

"Yeah, I'm just here with Brinson and a few officers," he replied. "What's up, babe?"

"I need you to go somewhere private. Somewhere no one will hear our conversation, alright?"

"Okay, honey. Just calm down." I heard something shift, then Martin's muffled voice saying, "It's my boyfriend. Something's happened, do you guys mind if I take this in private?"

I heard muffled agrees, followed by, "Thank you so much".

I waited as I heard doors opening and closing and the shuffled sounds of Martin walking. Finally, they stopped and I heard his hushed voice ask, "Haley? What's going on? Why did I need to go somewhere private?"

"Okay, listen, I know how this is all going to sound, especially with my dismissal this morning and all, but you have to believe me, okay?" There was nothing. I swallowed, hoping he wouldn't abandon me now. "I just got facetimed by Henry's second phone. I couldn't get a good look at him, so I don't know where he is or if he's injured badly or not. But the person calling talked to me. They used a voice modifier to disguise their voice, but they told me quite a bit. They told me they're a team of hitmen and hackers called the Dirty Dozen, and they kidnapped Henry because they're starting to pick the team off one by one for arresting and killing some of their people. He chose Henry because they know what happened at the bar between him and Jake and they knew he'd be by himself. They have someone inside the FBI right now, that's why I asked you to go somewhere private. I don't know who it is, so we can't trust anybody. They gave me 24 hours to try and find Henry, but I can't do it alone, Martin. You're my best friend on the team, I didn't know who else to call. You're the smartest, especially with computers. I need your help. Please help me."

There was more silence. I held my breath, waiting for a response. It felt like time was ticking slower as I waited, the seconds feeling more like hours.

Finally, "I'm on my way. I need just a few minutes to run home and grab my laptop, but I'll be there soon."

I sighed with relief. "Thank you so much, Martin."

"For the record," he started. "I knew it couldn't be you. You're not that type of person."

I smiled, even though I knew he couldn't see me. "I'll text you the address of where I am. Don't tell anyone where you're going, just tell them something is up with Darren, okay?"

"Alright. I'll be there soon, Haley."