Prologue

I walked into the BAU with my head held high. I tried not to let my fears get the best of me and remembered what my mom and dad told me.

"The BAU is in your genes. Don't worry, honey. You're gonna be great."

I walked up to the BAU Unit Chief, Charlotte Brinson's office. I took a deep breath, swallowed all my fear and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" came a velvety female voice. I opened the door. A woman with long blonde hair and light green eyes sat at her desk. She reminded me a lot of my Aunt JJ. "Ah, you must Haley Reid. My name is Charlotte Brinson."

"I know." I said. "I mean, I've heard of you. It's nice to finally meet you, ma'am."

"Please, Haley. Sit down and call me Brinson. No need for this ma'am stuff. It's not like we're in the military or anything." she said. I sat down across from her. She picked up a file and began to look over it. "Let's see here. You graduted from high school at 14, IQ of 180, Ph.D in Chemisty, B.A in Sociology and an eidetic memory. What didn't you inherit from your father?"

"His awkwardness." I said. Brinson and I laughed. "But, uh, my dad says that smarts can't really be passed generically, so as a kid he and my mom kind of helped me to gain all that stuff. Plus, I really liked to read."

Brinson smiled. "Well, I can't see why you can't be on the BAU. Despite the fact that most your family was on it-"

"My mom, dad and uncle, actually." I cut her off.

"Whatever." she laughed. "You graduated from the FBI academy at the top of your class. I think you'd be a great addition to the team. Do you think you can be in tomorrow?"

I was shocked. I got the job just like that? No questions? Wow. Maybe BAU does run in my genes.

"Yeah. I think I can. Thank you so much SSA Brinson, this is such an honor." I said and shook her hand again.

"No need to thank me, sweetheart. Be here by 6:00am. I know it's early, but hey. That's life."

I nodded and left her office. I was mentally freaking out. I couldn't believe I actually got the job. I couldn't wait to call and tell mom and dad. They were gonna be so proud of me!

As I was exiting the office, I ran into a tall blonde boy.

"I'm so sorry." I said.

"Don't be." he said. "Wait, Haley? Haley Reid."

"Henry?"

Henry and I laughed and hugged each other. It had been a while since I seen him.

"What are you doing here?" he asked when we pulled apart. "No wait. Don't tell me you're the new member of the BAU."

"That would be me. I just got the job. I start tomorrow. I totally forgot you were on the BAU. What a coincidence."

"It is. Knowing you, you'll love it here. I can't wait to tell my mom and dad that Haley Reid is the new BAU member. You gotta come visit some time. They miss you like crazy."

"I will soon. I promise. I gotta go get ready for work tomorrow. It was nice seeing you again, Henry."

"You, too, Haley."