Working Hard

"So, what do we got?" McBride asked. "The rest of the families, were the father's authority figures?"

"Three police officers, one was even a chief, and a fireman," replied Jake. "We also talked to the others in the family without the fathers. The first three fathers, plus Charles Miller, abused their first borns when they drank too much and they idolized their daughters."

"Wait," I said. "Only the first three and Charles? That's only four. What about the fifth family?"

"The chief," Henry said. He seemed even more upset than earlier. "He beat his wife, drunk and sober." And now it makes sense why he'd be so upset.

I wrote all this down in my notebook before transferring it over onto the board we had set up. Under each family, I wrote the information we were given.

"What about the guy we brought in?" asked McBride.

"Scott got a name on him earlier," Brinson explained. "His names Grant Hugh (A/N: hehehe get it?). No idea how he's connected to the Millers yet, though. I was hoping LaMontagne and Reid could interrogate him and see what we could get while Scott is still searching for some connections."

I looked at Henry over my shoulder. He definitely was not excited to be teamed up with me. I just wish he'd tell me what his problem was. Was it because Jake and I were kinda dating and I didn't tell him? Because I was waiting until Jake and I made it official before I told anyone.

Henry and I walked to the interrogation room together. Grant was handcuffed to the table. He was staring straight at the mirror, at us.

Trying to cut the awkwardness, I asked Henry, "What do you think?"

"About what?" he asked, still sounding sour.

"Him," I said, gesturing to Grant. "You think he had anything to do with this? That he's the UnSub?"

"Yes and no," he replied. "He definitely has something to do with this. But whether or not he's the actual UnSub, I'd say no. Maybe he just knows the actual UnSub or helped to kidnap and set the fires. But he didn't kill the first two girls."

I studied Grant for a moment. "You don't think? He seems pretty dominant."

"I know what I'm talking about Reid," Henry snapped. That hurt a little. He never called me Reid. He was definitely angry at me. That anger was starting to spread to me.

"You know what LaMontagne?" I said. "Why don't you stop being a God damn baby and tell me what's wrong? Or better yet, do your job and stop trying to seem like you know more than I do or that you're better than me. Because, news flash, I'm the proven genius here, not you."

Henry's eyes were locked on Grant. I stormed past him and into the interrogation room, not waiting to see if he followed. Grant's eyes snapped to me as I slammed the door and roughly pulled the chair across from him out. He looked amused.

"Bad day?" he asked.

"None of your business," I hissed. "But why don't we talk about something that is. How do you know the Millers?"

Grant scoffed. "What, just because I smiled at that judge guy automatically means I know them or I'm something to them?"

I raised an eyebrow. "How do you know he's a judge? I never mentioned that."

Grant's eyes widened. He realized he had messed up. It was my turn to smirk as him and I pulled a pen out of my pocket and pretended to write something down. I felt like it'd be a good way to trick him. Make him think I'm making notes about him when I'm not.

It seemed to work because I noticed him lean forward. I quickly snapped my book closed.

"What are you writing?"

"Again, none of your business," I said. "The better question is, why did you run when Agent McBride noticed you looking at the crime scene. An innocent person wouldn't run."

Grant didn't reply. He looked down at his hands. I quickly pretended to write something again.

"How can you be getting anything from this?" asked Grant. "I'm not replying. That automatically means I'm the killer?"

"Usually," I shrugged. "Unless, of course, you're not and you want to fess up to who did."

Grant sighed. He was picking at his handcuffs.

"Are they too tight?" I asked.

"A little," he replied. "Why do you care?"

"Believe it or not, I wanna help you, Grant," I said. "Right now, that stunt at the crime scene plus what happened with the Millers is enough to pin you as a suspect. If you don't help us find who really did this, you could take the fall for something you didn't do. So, you have two choices: help us find the real killer or go to jail."

Grant looked up at me. He didn't seem like a bad guy when he wasn't acting so tough and high and mighty. He sighed again.

Once he finished speaking, I got up and walked out of the interrogation room. Henry was standing there, still watching as I walked past. He didn't speak, but he didn't look too happy. Honestly, I wasn't happy with him either.

Either he got over whatever was making him so upset or we could just end our friendship right then and there. It was his choice. I wasn't going to put up with it anymore.

*******

Sorry for such a short chapter. Longer ones to come!