Chapter 21

"Sasori?!"

I ran out of the house and scanned the area. Where could he be? At the back of my head, negative conclusions were filling up. What if he's mad at me and decided to leave me? What if Sasori's been fed up? What if he went back to being a star?!

Oh, Kami-sama..no..

Fear rumbled in my chest. What if's already getting the best of me. The scenes earlier flashed back..

"Geez, why don't you just put a chain to my neck, while you're at it! Yes, I do appreciate you being there for me all the time.. but the heck?! If I knew having a freakin' boyfriend means losing my freedom and everything in between, then I regret I even wished for one!!"

"Alright."

I took in deep breathes and blinked away the tears that were already forming. I need to compose myself. I need to find him... I need to say sorry and most important of all, I need to tell him what I feel for him. And silently, as I made my way out of the gates, I prayed it isn't too late.

*

"Umm... sir? Have you, by any chance, saw a man about my age, with short red hair, wearing a cream-colored shirt and black pants?"

But the vendor---a man looking in his midthirties---just shook his head and continued entertaining his costumers. I frowned. I've been looking for hours now.. As I walk pass a ramen house, a familiar blonde caught my attention.

"Hey, Sakura-chan!"

His blue stormy eyes glimmered as he greeted me. I managed to display a small smile. "Oh, hello Naruto.." he dashed towards me. "Hm.... what's with the frown? You seem depressed. Is something up?"

I groaned. I forgot Naruto Uzumaki could see right through me.

"I'm fine.. I just... ugh! Have you seen Sasori?"

"Sasori, huh?" He cocked me an eyebrow and stroke his imaginary beard while dozing off into his memory bank.

"Ahh.. I think I saw him earlier.. he went that way," Naruto pointed a certain direction, "Why? Hey, what's the matter between you and your boyfriend, Sakura-chan? Did he hurt you?! Tell me! I'll kick that bastard's ass faster than you can spell out his name, dattebayo!"

But instead of giving him a decent answer, I smiled and ignored his interrogation. "I gotta go. See ya around!" I then jolted off.

"H-Hey! Sakura.......chan?"

*

I ran off to who knows where. I'm not even sure if I'm heading the right direction anymore. All I could see are fields and trees. Suddenly, my knees gave in and I haulted into a stop.

"Dammit.."

I said in between shallow breaths. I felt the bullets of sweat dripping from my face. I looked up the sky and saw the faint moon making it's appearance. Only then did I realize it was already sunset.

Unknowingly, I gaze off into a distance and saw a man sitting on the slope of the grassy hill I was standing on. Squinting my eyes, I made out the familiar figure.

"S-Sasori?"

He turned to look at me...and Sasori Akasuna smiled.

I felt my heart skipped a beat. Is it normal for it to do so? He's here..

The next thing I knew, I ran towards him, launching myselt at him with glassy eyes. I felt the tears well-up. But this time, I let them fall. What else could I do but let it fall?

"Sakura.. why are you crying?"

He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me in confusion. My arms were still wrapped around him but he didn't say anything about it. It took me a few more seconds to finally compose myself.

"You jerk! You left me!!"

But instead of soothing me with dramatic words, the redhead cockily chuckled. "You crybaby.. I didn't go anywhere."

"Liar! You intended to!"

"Don't be silly. If it were my intentions to leave you.. then you wouldn't be hugging me right now."

He then wipe my tears. I gave him a small smile and playfully slapped his chest.

"You really are a jerk... don't you ever do that again or else I'll break up with you!"

Again, he laughed as if I am the most amusing creature on earth.

"I'm glad you're not mad anymore. Yes, ma'am.. I won't."

We sat on the ground and faced the sunset. The sky gave off a mystical orange glow as stars started to faintly twinkle. Everything just seems so peaceful. Sasori slung his arm over my shoulder and pulled me closer. He then leaned in and kissed the top of my head.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so overprotective."

It's okay..

But instead of saying that, the next words I said came out almost naturally.

"I love you."

***
Amazing cover by KurtRomLan 😄