Chapter 31

I ran, as fast as my legs could. Tears blurred my vision. I don't know where to go, or what to do.. but as long as I get away from everything, I'll be alright. Damn this life.. I thought Sasori would be an answer. I thought he's that one person who could finally stay by my side and make me see things at a different angle.

But I guess expectations really do hurt.

You expect so much from one person, that makes you so miserable when he fails to reach it. And I thought my life couldn't get any worse.

I came to a stop and huffed from exhaustion. The sun finally disappeared and I wonder when will the moon finally take over for good. It's better if the sun never shone again. Bitterly, I thought and stared up the sky, only to find little stars peeking out.

I frowned.

"Stars... they're a pain in the ass." Because in some twisted way, Sasori really is a star. Well, not literally that is. I mean, he's an heir to their business and from what I've heard before in the news, the Akasuna Clan is the richest family originating from Japan. He's above ordinary. And if I compare his status with mine, I'm nothing.

Seriously, nothing.

I sighed, feeling my chest weigh heavier as depressive thoughts flooded my mind. Questions whirled, but the shitty thing is.. no one can give the answers.

It hurts.

It damn fucking hurts to believe in such lies.

With my remaining strength, I made my way towards a bench. Luckily, I'm in a park with no kids anywhere in sight. They must've gone home already. Good. Atleast here, I can silently cry my heart out.

Sasori.. you lied. You made me fall for you. You made me believe happy endings do exist and that love can save myself..I even gave my all to you..

Is this a part of his plans? Why me? Of all lonely girls in this city, why did he choose me?

"Because you're a troublesome woman."

I raised my head and saw Shikamaru standing before me with his hands stuffed inside his pockets. He had a bored look on his face that made me hopelessly wipe away my tears. I'm sure I look like an idiot now. But I was taken aback when the brown-haired male extended his hand, and offered me his handkercheif.

I stared at it for a while.

"You look like shit, Haruno. And there's no use in hiding those tears, idiot."

I accepted the clean piece of cloth and used it to wipe my cheeks and blow my nose. I saw Shikamaru raise an eyebrow as he sat on the bench beside me.

"W-What are you doing here, Nara?"

I managed to ask.

An arrogant smirk crossed his features. "I should be asking you the same thing. Anyway, I saw the confrontation you and Sasori had earlier."

And then I remembered something, "Yeah... h-hey, how long have you been keeping the truth from me?"

"You mean, how you have I known about that pretty boy's true identity? Hmm.. long enough, I guess. That's why I gave you a warning before."

I nodded my head, understanding everything now.

"I'm so stupid, Shikamaru..Ha-Ha," I laughed dryly, "I actually believe he was a star! A real fuckin' star! How stupid can I be?!"

Shikamaru shook his head and frowned. "You're a hopeless case." After that, he stood up and ruffled my hair.

"Look Sak, I don't know what that guy's intentions are.. nor can I advise you to trust him after the act he put up.. but one thing's for sure," he smiled at me, "Sasori Akasuna.. he's a puzzle."

And then, Shikamaru Nara walkes away. But after several steps, he spoke again, "By the way, keep the handkercheif."

After that, he was gone.

I remained silent for a few more minutes before standing up, deciding to go home before darkness falls completely.

*

I'm in my room. Locked up from the cruel world itself. I haven't eaten dinner yet, maybe because I don't feel like eating at all. My eyes are puffy because of all the tears I shed. If only I had a penny for every teardrop I release, then who knows how rich I'll be by now.

Riiiiinnnngggg........Riiiinnngg...

I lazily picked up my phone and answered without checking the caller ID.

"SAKURAAAA!"

I cringed. "Hey, Ino.. what's up?"

"Are you excited for the Valentine's ball?! Because I am! And guess what?! I heard Kurenai-sensei said that we'll be having dance practice tomorrow! How cool is that?!"

I sighed. "Yeah...so cool. I'm super excited." Note the sarcasm.

"Oh, you should be, forehead! News is spreading fast! Preparations MUST be made! Umm... by the way, have you called Sasuke yet?"

My eyebrows furrowed. "Why would I do that?"

"DUH!!! He's your Valentine's date remember?! O-Oh... hey, what about Sasori? Is your boyfriend cool with that?"

I felt my chest muscles contract again.

"Bye, Ino. I need to call Sasuke."

"But-----!"

I pressed the 'end call' button and laid my back on my bed. The ball is only a few days away. Maybe I need to clear our my mind and do some preparations. Dance practice..tomorrow?

I closed my eyes and dialled Naruto's number.

"Hello?"

"Naruto, I need you to give me Sasuke Uchiha's phone number."

***