Chapter 36

I try my best to never let you in to see the truth

I was pulled out of my reverie when Kiba suddenly handed me his cellphone. Dumbfoundedly, I stared at it. He let out a melodious chuckle,

"Take it, dummy."

Hesitantly, I reached for the phone and as if on cue, it vibrated. Someone's calling. I glanced at the screen. It was an unregistered number. My fingers moved on their own and pressed the answer button.

"H-Hello..?"

"Sakura.."

My body tensed and I knew by then, my heart made a summersault at the sound of the familiar voice. I can't believe this..

"S-Sasori?!"

I felt like crying. All the noise made by couples dancing around me became muted to my ears. My attention only focused on the man on the other end of the line. It felt like forever since I last heard his voice.

"Sasori! I---"

"Shh... I understand, Sakura."

And I've never opened up

I've never truly loved till you put your arms around me

My brows furrowed in confusion. "W-What??" Was the only thing I could come up with. Kiba worriedly looked at me. It was then when Sasori Akasuna spoke,

"Is there an open place there? Some area where you could see the sky?"

Anxiously, I spun around until I found a set of stairs. Kiba must've figured what I was looking for because he suddenly said, "There's a small balcony at the second floor of this building.." I nodded and told Sasori to wait as I ran towards the staircase.

What's he up to?

And I believe that it's easier for you to let me go

The moment I reached the balcony, I immediately held on to the railings for support. My heels are literally killing me!

"I'm here.."

"Sakura, I wish I was there with you.."

My heart constricted, but I let him continue,

"..I'm sorry. Things got out of control. But believe me, if there's one thing I regret, that's that I haven't told you the truth about my identity sooner. I can't say I'm sorry for lying to you, because the fact is... that was the best lie I've told anyone so far. And I don't regret that lie..because if I didn't made that whole 'reincarnated star' story up... I wouldn't have had the chance to be your boyfriend.. And Sakura?"

"....hmm?" Tears were already streaming down my pale face. This is all too much. Unconsciously, I gazed up the starry night sky.

"Being your boyfriend was the most memorable thing I did in this lifetime.. Thank you."

I hope that you see right through my walls
I hope that you catch me, 'cause I'm already falling

"For once in my life, I finally did something right. I finally made a decision without the aid of my father. I love you, Sakura. I will always do. I'm sorry it has to end this way. I'm sorry for hurting you.. I-I'm so sorry..."

I'll never let our love get so close

"S-Sasori.."

"That's why, I'm giving you your freedon back, Ms. Haruno... let's just say that.. this star is going back to heaven. I know, someone will fill in my place. It's alright."

You put your arms around me and I'm home

"H-Huh? Sasori, what are you talking about?!"

Fear kissed me once again. When will this rollercoaster ride end? Will there even be an ending to this sheer of pain in my chest?

"They told me before, to reach for the stars. But I reached for your heart, Sakura.. anataha taisetsuna hitodesu.. I love you..

For five minutes. Look up the eastern part of the sky. That will be my last wish... Sayonara."

"What the---"

toot.toot.toot..

He hung up on me! I panicked and wiped away the tears from my eyes. My heart felt heavy with all the drama I've been experiencing this evening. But still, all I could manage to think about is Sasori Akasuna. What does he mean?

Five minutes..

Soon enough, I found myself staring up the eastern portion of the night sky. Stars dimly twinkled. I can't even find the brightest star in the east.. the one I made a wish with. Where is it? Shouldn't it be there?

You put your arms around me and I'm home

I rubbed my arms and kept my eyes on the sky---still trying to find the brightest star I saw before. I don't know how long I've been gazing up, but all I know is that Sasori wanted me to see something.

"There!"

I saw it!

I saw a star twinkling brightly at the east.. it surely out shone the others! That's the same star I saw before!

....or so I thought...

Suddenly, I noticed it moved. I took a closer look and saw it's lights blinking. And that's when it hit me..

"An airplane."

Oh, no.. Sasori..

'That will be my last wish.. Sayonara.'

***

anataha taisetsuna hitodesu = you're special

Sayonara = Goodbye