Chapter 13

"Hello Damita. How have you been since our last visit?" Dr. Williams asked as I sat down.

"I've been doing very well. My husband and I are doing good." I smiled.

"That's great to hear, but before we pick up where we left off, I have some questions to ask you." She said and I nodded.

"What was your childhood like?"She asked

"It was lonely. I'm the youngest of three girls and both of my sisters are more than 10 years older than I am. They were always out doing their own things." I replied.

"What about your parents what were they like?" She asked.

"My parents were barely home, they were always working. When they were home , we barely talked. We ate together but we didn't talk." I responded.

"Are you close to your parents?" She asked.

"No I'm not actually. My sisters are but I'm not. They say that they were different when they were young." I said nonchalantly.

"Are you close to your sisters?" She asked.

"I used to be. Nothing happened we're just not as close as we used to be. I can't even tell you the last time I've seen or talked to one of my sisters." I laughed.

"How do your parents feel about Amaru?" She asked.

"When we first got together In college, they hated him. Told me that he wasn't good for me and they said he was a bad influence." I laughed.

"Do you think he was a bad influence?" She asked.

"Kind of, but it wasn't just him. There was a whole gang of us. Mike, Tee, Broderick, Erick, Keisha. We were all young and reckless." I laughed.

"But if I look at it from their point of view , he was a bad influence." I continued laughing.

"They say that I changed when I met Amaru. I don't think I changed he just helped me get to know myself. He brought out something that had been there all along. I just had to find it." I blushed.

"How were you before you met him?" She asked.

"Quiet, I only talked when it was necessary. I stayed out of the way, I never went out. My life was kind of boring. I didn't really have friends." I responded.

"What kind of things did you all do together?"

"We had fun. We went to parties, we went to movies, we played games. We did a lot." I laughed.

"Can you explain to me why your parents would look at him as a bad influence?" She asked.

"I had a lot of firsts with Amaru." I laughed.

"First time I got drunk was with him. The first time I got high was with him and Mike. The first time I got arrested, I fought his ex for flirting with him. First time I went to a club, it was with him and Mike." I said falling sad.

"Sounds like the three of you were inseparable."she laughed.

"We were. Wherever you saw them, I wasn't too far behind. " I said nervously biting my lip.

"How did Mike's death affect your marriage?" She asked.

"It drove us apart. We didn't want to be around each other. He left and stayed with his mom for a couple of months. We barely spoke , I would take Amari over there and leave. "

"What made him come home? You guys are obviously in a good place now." She said.

"I called him. I told him that I missed him and he asked if he could come home." I responded.