2.

Two.

The next morning, I woke up and rubbed my eyes. The first thing my mind went to was coffee.

After a few minutes of scrolling through Twitter, I shuffled to the kitchen and opened the cabinet.

Tea? When have we ever had tea?

I kept searching for the coffee until I finally gave up.

My dad walked in, munching on some toast.

"Hey pumpkin, what are you looking for?"

"Dad, chew with your mouth closed," I laughed. "And do we have any more coffee?"

"Sorry, we ran out. I'll get some more on my way home from work today."

"Okay," I groaned. I really didn't want to go out, but it was my only option.

I got ready, and left the house in search of the nearest place which sells coffee. I arrived at a cute little coffee shop down the street.

I ordered and waited for my name to be called.

"Brooke?" The barista called out.

"That's me!" I smiled and grabbed my coffee. She returned the smile and I headed out.

The small shop was bustling with people, and every table was filled. I tried to make my way through the busy crowd the best I could, but I accidentally bumped into an older man.

I turned around and went to apologize, when someone backed their chair into me. I stumbled over, spilling my coffee on somebody.

"I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed. I was at a loss for words.

"No worries, I wasn't a fan of this shirt anyways," a deep voice replied. I looked up to see a guy who looked a few years older than me.

"Um, here," I said and started to wipe his shirt with the few napkins in my hand. More people started to bump into us, and it quickly got annoying.

"Let's go outside," I said. He followed me like a lost puppy, and it was quite cute.

I continued to wipe his shirt until he pushed my hand away.

"It's fine, really. I'm James."

"I'm Brooke, nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine," he said, and my heart fluttered. "So, are you from around here?"

"Yeah, I live right down the street," and I pointed in the direction.

"I live around here too, it's about a 10 minute walk from here. Sorry about your coffee. Here, let's go back in and I'll buy you a new one."

"No it's fine. I ruined your shirt and-"

He cut me off, "I told you I didn't like this shirt. Plus, it wasn't your fault, there were so many people. Let me get you another coffee."

"I told you it's fine."

"I insist."

The way he looked into my eyes with a pleading face made me say yes. There was no way I could reject his offer.

"Okay," I said unwillingly.

We walked out of the coffee shop, both with our coffees, and I finally thought this one may be a keeper.

•••

Hello! This is my first story so bear with me! Let me know what you think!

What do you think of James?