7.

Seven.

I swung the door open, and and scanned the room for where James could be. The small coffee shop was less crowded, but there were still many faces I didn't recognize.

I tried calling him, but it went right to voicemail.

It was a big town and he was just one person. It was no use.

I started to head back home, but decided to make a stop at the park. I noticed a man sitting on one of the benches.

"James?" I called. A man turned around, but it most definitely wasn't James. He had a long beard and large bags under his eyes.

All of a sudden, I felt a pair of hands on my eyes.

"Surprise!"

I turned around and saw James with a grin on his face.

I smiled, then started to frown.

We sat on a bench, and I pulled the clipping out of my pocket.

"What's this?" I said.

"Oh my god," he said. Tears started to well up in his eyes. "Where did you get this?"

"My mom..." my voice faded. "She was worried about me," I said quietly, looking down.

"Hey," he lifted my chin up. "I've changed. I'm different. My mom thought it would be good for me. After I lost my dad I went a little, well, insane. I hid in my room, and when I came out I'd always yell at my mom. I often broke things as an attempt to let out my pain. I was so upset. She thought it would be what I needed. And honestly, I did. I'm completely different. Although I miss him, I know it's nothing to dwell on forever."

"I'm so sorry," I said.

He started to tear up again, and I engulfed him in a hug. I rubbed his back, and we stayed like that for a while.

I eventually pulled away, then grabbed the clipping again.

"Hey," I said, and he looked up. I tore it into bits, and threw it in the trash.

He smiled, and I kissed him. He kissed back, and it felt amazing.

My mom was wrong. I needed to confront her, and it had to be now.

After leaving the park, I headed home.

I burst through the door and yelled, "Mom!"

I checked every room, and I saw nothing. I opened the slider to the back patio and saw her sitting in a rocking chair, sleeping.

"Mom!" I shook her, trying to wake her up.

She wasn't responding.

I checked her pulse and didn't feel a thing.

I grabbed my phone and called 911.

I tried to stay calm, but I was so scared. My heart was racing.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"I-I came home to see my mom, and she doesn't have a pulse. Come quick," I said, my voice trembling.

"Help is on the way."

I ended the call and continued to shake her, in hopes she'd wake up.

Tears were streaming down my face, I just wanted her back.