6.

Six.

It had been a few days since my date with James. I really liked him, and I wanted to get to know him better. This time, I decided to ask him out.

Me: Hey, do you want to go to the beach on Saturday?

I noticed my phone was at 20%, so I went to find my charger upstairs. When I came back, I saw my mom with a disappointed look on her face, and my phone in her hand.

"Really, Brooke?" she snapped. "After countless lectures by both me and your father, you still find the need to go behind our backs in order to date this boy?"

"Why do you even care?" I was furious not only because she was getting upset over my decision, but also because she snooped through my phone. "What's so bad about him? I happen to like him, and no matter what you or dad say, I will not stop seeing him."

She sighed and left the room. When she came back, she was holding a newspaper clipping.

"Mom, this is from 2014. Why should I care about it?" I was beginning to see no purpose of this situation.

"Please, just read it," she replied.

TEENAGE BOY ESCAPES FROM MENTAL INSTITUTION
On July 14th, teenage boy James Carson escapes from his mental institution, where he has been held for a year. Police are still on the lookout for him.

Attached to the article was a photo of a younger  looking version of James.

I couldn't believe what I was looking at.

"W-Why do you have this?" I stuttered, at a loss for words.

"Well, this was that summer you were at sleep-away camp."

"You didn't answer my question."

"Honestly, I don't remember why I kept it. But once you said his name, I immediately remembered the article. Please stay away from him, sweetie. I'm worried what might happen if you keep seeing him."

This doesn't make sense. Why would he even be put there?

"Why didn't you just tell me at first?" I asked.

"Well you were so upset with me, I didn't want to make you even more upset."

"I still need to talk to him. About this."

"Please don't. I don't want you getting involved. I don't want to see you end up hurt and-"

I cut her off. "Mom, people change. Anyways, I'm applying for college soon, so I think I can handle talking to a friend."

Her body tensed when I referred to James as a friend.

"Nothing you say can stop me from talking to him."

She didn't have time to protest as I stormed out of the house with the newspaper article, determined to talk to him.