Chapter Fifty-Five

Josie's POV
I didn't sleep that night, although he left when I closed my eyes, I was wide awake. I just couldn't bare the fact that he would see me crying again. I had cried so many times in front of him, cried so many times for him.

I know he could tell that I was about to, I saw the remorse on his face the second I heard his beginnings to his "it's over" speech, making my eyes start to water knowing the end was near. And boy had it been a long journey to this final destination.

I understood where he was coming from, we had both experienced such great trials and tribulations throughout our relationship, while I had seen them as milestones only leading us towards a higher place in our relationship, I guess he didn't see them the same way. Just before this, it felt like there had been peace in the world for once, at least for us.

But then of course life had to get in the way. There's always something in the way for us, which is why I understand him. It was never a clear path set for us, all we knew is that we loved each other, but sometimes it just isn't enough.

Hours had passed and the sun had risen, but I was still here, not feeling bothered to move, even though I knew I had to. I was far too embarrassed to let anyone else see the pain in myself any longer. They had all seen me graveling at Luke's door hoping that he'd let me in like he always did, but this was different. He had let me in just as quick as he had left.

So before anyone else had woken up I forced myself to sit up, throwing my legs over the side of the bed to stand up after. The sun had just rose above the horizon line allowing me some time since I know that no one ever woke up this early, especially not after an intense night like last. It was 6 am and not a sound could be heard on our floor except for the sound of my feet lightly stepping onto the floor with each step. I entered Luke's room slowly and quietly before coming over to my suitcase to pack my belongings.

I saw Calum sleeping in Luke's bed, but Luke was nowhere to be found. Until I looked outside. On the balcony, he sat on a chair facing the view, making it unclear whether he was awake or not, but I definitely saw the glasses of alcohol that he had slightly piled next to him. I opened the balcony doors as if this was my final goodbye to him for today, but to my luck, he was still asleep. In the process of opening the door though, a creaking noise was created in an opening in the wooden frame making him start to fumble around in his sleep. I could see his body start to slouch in an even more uncomfortable position that he was already in thanks to the plastic lawn chair that he sat in, and I could tell that he wouldn't be able to hold himself up much longer in his state since it became evident that he was slowly falling over. Just before the weight of his body completely fell over, I caught him, making him lean on mine as his longer arm draped over my shoulder.

"Jo?" He mumbled as he tried to pick himself back up, but the wobbling of his legs signaled to me that he was definitely still a little tipsy from the drinks he had just hours before

"We gotta get you into bed, love," I spoke without thinking letting my little nickname of his slip out. But to my surprise he greeted it with a warm welcome, even though his words were slightly slurred.

"I love it when you call me love, love," He giggled taking one step at a time to his bed before I plopped him onto it making Calum stir a little in his sleep. The second he had settled himself into bed, I could see his eyes start to droop even more before he finally began to snore. But the movements began to wake Calum up as he found me sitting next to Luke.

"I know you do, Luke," I sighed pulling the blanket over him.

"Jo?" Calum questioned sleepily to me

"Take care of him, Cal, okay?" I asked him before gently placing my hand on Luke's face to remove a blonde strand that had fallen onto his forehead

"Where are you going?" He asked as I shrugged

"Back home, I got an album to release," I shook wiping the single tear from my cheek at the sight of Luke. It had all gotten too real. I tried to make it seem like a joke, but I couldn't hold in the pain for much longer.

"Can't you stay? He'll come back to his senses, I know he will, he'll be back to loving you in the morning," He tried to reason with me

"I know he loves me, I have no doubt in that, but sometimes, things just don't happen in the best way. We were never going to work out, we had too much shit in each other's lives to handle a relationship like ours. I understand that now," I replied still caressing his face in mine because I lacked the strength to let go, but Calum's words helped me do so.

"I'll make sure he's alright, Josie," He said not willing to fight back anymore

"Thank you, Cal," I looked at him before grabbing my things and leaving. It was a long way back home. A 7 hour flight across the country which wasn't too horrendous considering I had done much longer hours on a plane for other reasons before. But I was asleep for all 7 of those hours not willing to face the reality that surrounded me. The second I landed though, an even bigger nightmare had just begun.