Chapter Three: Leo Valdez; We all have to die someday...

Sometimes Our Minds Work against Us...

Chapter Three: We all have to die someday...

I stood in the door way, the building burning around me. I couldn't bare her screams...I tried the door but it wouldn't budge.

I heard an evil laugh and I almost wished I was in there with her. She laughed at me. It went dark and I couldn't bare it anymore. When I was free they looked at me in anger.

"Why should we take it? It killed her! Where is that no good dead beat dad that she always talked about? He still hasn't shown up? Figures..." They all said I was her killer. That it was my fault she was dead...

I guess they are right...

If I hadn't been born she would have been so much safer... I couldn't help but cry when I was at the foster homes. They wanted me even less than my 'family' did. I couldn't stand any of them. That's why I ran...

I ran and ran and ran...

I stood by a public pool in Dallas and looked at my reflection, a dirty, skinny, short Hispanic boy that no one wanted... I put my bag down, took off my shoes and jacket and fell in.

The cold water hit me like a ton of bricks. I swam to the bottom, twelve feet down, and waited.

Just open your mouth and breathe...it'll only hurt for a moment. Then nothing will every hurt you again... Don't you want that? I mean we all have to die someday...

A dark cruel voice was speaking to me...and I felt like it was right...I should just open my mouth, take a deep breath and finish what they started. I opened my closed eyes and look at the empty pool around me. I heard the faint sound of something, and my lungs hurt, my ears popped and I opened my mouth. I took a deep breath and I could feel my lungs fill up...

He came into the pool and grabbed me so fast I thought he was a fish. Shoving me to the surface I broke free of the water and everything went black.

When I woke up I was lying on the side of the pool. The life guard had saved me. He was on the phone calling someone. I couldn't be caught, if I was...I don't know what they would do to me but it wouldn't be good...

I picked up my things and ran.