Chapter Thirty-Two: Percy Jackson; Carry On

Sometimes Our Minds Work Against Us...

Chapter Thirty-Two: Percy Jackson; Carry On

Inspired by: Carry On Wayward Son (lullaby version >>> on the side to for reference)

Sitting in the dark room you wouldn't be able to see the small boy with messy black hair. You wouldn't, at first glance, be able to know all the things this boy would go through when he wasn't even an adult yet. You wouldn't be able to see how he would be saving all your butts when he was only twelve, sixteen, and many many more times. You wouldn't know from looking at the little five year old that there was anything different to him than any other five year old, and at the moment there wasn't.

Because at that moment all he wanted was his mother, at that moment he was terrified worse than he would when he was staring down the king of hell, finding out he was a demigod or even when he asked a girl out for the first time (and that was terrifying let him tell ya). He sat as still as possible listening to the growling coming from his closet. Listening to the scrapping of claws against thin white washed wood; to the sound of four, wait, no, six loud paws dropping to the floor at different times.

Sitting there breathing heavily Percy reminded himself, 'it's just your overactive imagination and ADHD working together to make this 'monster'', because that's what the grownups would tell him when he told them about the monster. Trying to ignore the sounds he places pillows over his ears and counts sheep aloud, but all he can hear is the scratching, the growling and finally the door breaking. Sitting bolt upright in bed you see it, those red eyes, the white teeth. and those six muscular legs. He did what any sane five year old would, he bolted.

Racing to the door, even if the monster was only a few seconds away from it, he jumps letting his short fingers grasp the brass knob for seconds, but those seconds are long enough to turn and bolt out the opening door. The cold hall air makes goose bumps break out across the small boy's entire body but he doesn't mind. No, he just minds that monster that had busted out of the closet and he wanted away from it. Banging his small fists on the hard wood of the master suit he screamed at the top of his lungs, "MOM!"

The door swings open so fast he didn't have time to finish the name, the warm embrace of his mother was all around him in milliseconds. The door slams shut and locks as the woman holds her dear baby boy. "Percy what happened?" Sally asks.

"The--The--The door broke!" He stammers out into her shoulder. She nods, like she had been expecting it for some time... "Okay, Mommy will go and deal with the bad bad closet monster, you stay on my bed okay?" The young boy nods and she gingerly places him onto the stiff spring mattress. "Wait here, and unless you hear me scream for you to run, don't move." She holds his slim shoulders and looks him straight in the eye. Those same eyes grow wide with fear, she believed him! His head acts like a jack hammer and she smiles, "Okay, I'll be back in a moment sweetie." Giving him a small kiss on the forehead she turns and walks out the door holding a pen in hand as she left.

A few moments later and the apartment is silent, except for two foot steps coming up the hallway. Three knocks come from the other side and three more come from the boy wrapping his knuckles against the night stand. Squeaking the door slides open and a, dusty, Sally Jackson walks in. "So don't worry, I killed the bad monster and he won't bother you any more, alright?"

Percy nods once and she smiles, "Now, do you want to sleep with me tonight?" He smiles, letting his eyes squint up in the corners, "Yes!"

"Okay, well you'll have to make some room big man," She says coming towards the bed hands extended, "Or the tickle monster will get you!" The young boy giggles and laughs as the fast moving fingers of his mother go across his stomach and arms.

She slides him over to the middle of the bed and slides under the covers herself, "Okay, now do you want a story or a song?"

He smiles, "Both!" He says smiling like he had won the lottery.

"No, it's late, one or the other." She retorts bopping him on the noise.

"Okay..." He says dejectedly, "Will you sing?"

"Yes, I will sing," She replies with a soft smile, and a yawn that lets him see how tired she is.

"Okay, will you sing Carry On then?" She smiles at his choice. "Of course."

"Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, don't you cry more." She begins, watching his head droop lightly.

"Once I rose above the noise and confusion, just to get a glimpse beyond this allusion, I was soaring ever higher, but a rose to high..."

His eyes begin to bat open and close and she tucks a bit of black hair behind his ear as she lulled the next part, "Though my eyes could see, I still was a blind man. Though my mind could think, I still was a mad man. I can hear the voices when I'm dreaming, I can hear them say!"

She stops for a moment to look at his eyes try to stay open but failing quite badly, and she begins again getting softer as she goes, "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, don't you cry no more."

Placing a final kiss to his brow she pulls him into a hug and goes to sleep, with just a little monster dust still on her.

~~~~

A young man, with tasseled black hair and bright green eyes sits next to a sleeping girl. And he feels that fear, deep in his gut again, turning around to see behind him, there is a large monster, six black muscular legs, bright red eyes, and white fanged teeth. Taking the pen from his pocket he snarled back at the thing, screaming for the second time at the thing, he ran towards it. Taking the pen and turning it to it's true form, a long blade, and slicing through the monster, missing, and fighting with it all while the blond girl slept.

Panting heavily, and covered with the golden dust he takes his spot beside the girl again, waiting for her to wake up to continue. Sitting there his mind wonders, just ever so slightly back to that night. Not truly focusing on the monster, but at the woman who had held him close while he shook with fear, and had sung to him while he feel asleep after saving him from a monster he didn't know anyone else believed he had seen.

So looking down at the girl below, he pulls her into his embrace, her face is scrunched and upset, patting her sweat damp hair he tried to relax her. He didn't notice those soft words falling from his lips, or even how they followed with his life so well, and the stories of many others of his kind. He didn't notice, nor did he care, because he was trying to comfort, and this is how he had comfort. So sharing seemed kindest.

When she woke up she would ask what he had said, and he would deny saying anything at all, but that was disproven many years later.

When a blond green eyed girl came running into her parents bedroom crying about a bad dream and she held onto her father as he sang soft comforting words, that always became, "Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done, lay your weary head to rest, don't you cry no more...."

A/N: So, yeah I've been on a Supernatural bender and I just finished season 8, and now am unable to watch season NIne due to lack of re-runs. -_- so yes, I was looking up ALL the 'Carry On Wayward Son' versions along with many other supernatural things and this came up. Please play the song placed in multimedia, because it is beautiful, and really it makes the story a lot more understandable. Thank you, and hope you enjoyed.