Calypso: Left Behind So Many Times

Sometimes Our Minds Work Against Us…

Chapter Ten: Calypso: Left Behind So Many Times

Inspired by: Jar of Broken Hearts

She was used to it. They always came and went. Always forgetting soon after leaving. She didn’t change them. Their lives weren’t affected, just hindered for a few moments. They would never stay. She knew this.

I must return to my home land, my wife and son…how could I just leave with no regrets?

He had sailed away with not a second look behind.

I can never love you, you’re immortal…I’m just a man. You must understand.

Making her feel like the freak, like it was her fault that they could never stay, he had never mentioned he had already four wives already…

I can’t stay…What about camp? The other demigods? I have to go back, Annabeth—they need me.

Of course. You’re a hero, you always have to leave. You can stay long enough to make another fall, but once they do, once they do you have to run off to the original.

I’ll get the gods to set you free. You’ll get to leave. I promise, I won’t let them leave you.

He lied. He lied right to my face and then never tried to make contact. Never tried to even help me. HE NEVER HE WANTED TO. All he wanted was to go back to her. To go running back to the original. I hoped, cursed, that he be lost from her. That he die in agony. That he feel the heart break that he made me feel. I hoped he died.

That’s when, when he showed up and wasn’t even beautiful. How they thought she would be desperate enough, desperate enough to go for anyone. To fall for just anyone, no. Not again. She wouldn’t fall for the gods’ tricks this time. She would distance herself.

She would not go near him. She would not get attached to him. She would just mind her own business. It was not of her matter if he lived or died on this island. If he could survive, why should she care? Why not let one of those gods’ heroes suffer instead of her this time? Why not?! She should not be the only one to suffer this torment. Then he weaseled his way in. He got her to feel something for him. On the final night, we were going to run away together. She was so ready to leave. To run away and be free. Then she made the mistake, she kissed him and then he disappeared. He said he would be back. That he wouldn’t leave her like the others did. She knew he lied, but her heart ached it to be true. And with that hope, with that hope her life was crushed.

She didn’t settle, just made small adjustments here and there. Made sure that everything was ready to leave with. Always prepared to jump up and leave at the first sign.

But that sign never showed. She waited, and waited but he never came. He had left her, just like the others. Never came back to save her from her prison. More men came, but she didn’t speak to them, never showed them kindness.

Their bodies lie by the waters edge never to see the world they knew again. The world changes ever on ward and the gods send their heroes for me to ‘love’ but I don’t. I’ve given up. I won’t do it again. I was so ready to be free, so ready to have a life to have a little shop with him, but he forgot. Like all the rest. He forgot that he had left her behind.

She’s the biggest what if for so many.

What if I hadn’t returned to Troy?

What if I hadn’t gone back to Camp?

What if I hadn’t gone back to the mission?

What if she had shown me the food?

What if she had shown me kindness?

What if she hadn’t sent me away?

What if she had let me live?

She was the one to be left behind.

But who do they think they are, running around leaving so many scars?