Prologue: Learning about George

*Photo: Alice Bell

Alice's POV

"Good morning, class. As you all know, I am your teacher, Mr. Campbell, and we will be starting off the day talking about George Washington. Now, can someone tell me something about him?"

A few brave souls, including me, raised their hands, stretching them high into the air. His eyes scanned the room thoughtfully, staring into everyone's soul.

"Hmmm," Mr. Campbell mused. "How about... Miss Bell."

I smirked. I could talk about General Washington for hours if you let me. He had no idea what he was getting into.

"General George Washington, later to become the first President of the United States of America, was born in Virginia, on February 22 of 1732. He got his first taste of battle, so to speak, during the French and Indian War, where he suffered major defeats. Later, he became a member of the First Continental Congress, where John Adams of Massachusetts proposed that he take command of the Continental Army, an idea that was uncontested by most of Congress. You all know the rest of the story from there of how he led us to victory. At least, I hope you do."

The lesson went on as normal, and I hate to admit it, but I was kind of disappointed when the bell rang for the end of the day. I loved learning about American History, especially about the Revolutionary War.

As me and my classmates walked out the huge double glass doors to head home, I fell in beside my friend Amanda Paine, and we chatted away happily for our plans for that evening.

"Well, clear-LEE we have to watch 1776... again." giggled Amanda, smirking at the pun. I gave her a high-five, and nodded my head in agreement.

"Yes. That is an absolute must."

"We also have to prank call people tonight."

"Well duh!"

A blanket of silence fell over us, which was suddenly broken as we broke into raucous laughter, our volume drawing looks from the passersby.  Me and Amanda continued on laughing all the way to Amanda's house, where I was spending the night because my parents were out of town. Amanda knocked on the large front door, and I could hear footsteps coming in from inside. Her mother, Mrs. Tabitha Paine, opened the door, and implored us to come in. We complied, and I took the opportunity to study Tabitha Paine.

Tabitha Paine was a very interesting woman. She had long, curly black hair that went down to her shoulders, and a small pair of reading glasses that for some reason always sat atop her nose. Her outfit was an aqua blue polo shirt, black pants, and brown leather flip flops. In her hand, she held a copy of Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Across her shoulder rested a pretty brown leather bag that I totally wanted to steal. All in all, I could see the family resemblance.

"Mandy! You're back!" Tabitha smiled, and set her copy of Hamilton on a coffee table in the living room. "Hello to you too, Ali. How was your day at school?"

"As good as it can be," I chuckled, setting my sky blue duffel bag on a couch.

"That's nice."

We drifted off into silence again, each of us thinking about life, and Mandy went upstairs to her bedroom to get something. It was her 1776 dvd.

"LOOK WHAT I FOUND!" She cheered, and I beamed at her. Tabitha giggled lightly at our behavior as we raced each other upstairs to Mandy's bedroom, where we would be watching the movie.

While Amanda set it up, I decided to explore her room, even though not much has likely changed since the last time I was here, which was a week or so ago.

I was actually wrong in my assessment.

For there, on Mandy's nightstand, sat the necklace that would, little did I know, change my life forever.

AN: Hey guys! Wassup. Dreamie here with her first Wattpad Fanfic! I hope u like it. Enjoy!