#26 - Bright stars (pt. II)

"THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" I exclaimed in confusion "I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU ALL DAY, YOU WERE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND AND NOW ALL YOU TELL ME IS 'WHY ARE YOU ALONE'?!?"

I was furious, so enraged I threw him one of my [fav colour] high heels and nearly hit him. He covered his head and muttered something in a vane attempt to calm me down but as I tried to punch him into his stomach I saw something that made me stop at once.
Sugawara was wearing the dorky setter t-shirt under the jacket of his black suit.
Silence filled the air and I couldn't help but stare at the pastel blue piece of cloth as if if wanted to ensure I was still able to read. I laughed hard for a while, then he grabbed my wrist and opened my clenched fist to intertwine his fingers into mine, then embraced me.

After a while I was not angry anymore but still I wanted an explanation to his disappearance.
I didn't even ask him, he started to talk about it.
"I'm sorry you couldn't find me but I was busy..." he mumbled.
"What does it mean?" I inquired.

It was then that it came into my mind. Not only couldn't I find him anywhere the whole day, neither I could remember I hadn't seen Kiyoko anywhere that day.
It was just a second, what it took me to give in to jealousy.
"Were you with her, weren't you?" . On the outside I was incredibly calm.
He looked puzzled. He looked wrong. But was it just a coincidence?
"What do you mean by 'her', [Name]?"
"Your ex girlfriend, Ki... Shimizu-senpai..." I replied with incredible, ice cold calmness.
His look had the most enigmatic expression I'd ever seen. It could have meant "how do you know that?", "you caught me" or "it's a silly question" altogether.

And yet, a part of me refused to believe it was true and told me what I was doing made no sense.

He looked away and struggled to keep calm, but I could feel anger and pain in his words when he said: "How can you even think of this? After all I've been doing for you all day...".
I couldn't get him and told him so.
"I sent you a thousand messages..."
"My phone went dead"
"Ok then, I'll show you"

He grabbed my hand again and took me next to the gym, then had an awkward look at me and tried to speak without letting his voice trembled.
"This... this place is where everything stopped... remember? I was right here... and you were right in front of me. Then Hinata asked you to go with him... I must admit I thought he was asking you out, at first..."
I raised an eyebrow and tried to say something about it but he went on.
"... but this is not what I was trying to tell you...".
He opened the gym, which wasn't locked as I imagined.
It was dark inside and I stood still next to the entrance, as rigid as a tree with my heart that bumped into my chest against my ribs with the force of a boxe fighter hitting a punching ball.

He went on into the dark and I was still watching the very point where his shadow melted into the dark when suddenly some of the lights were turned on.
What I saw made me falter with astonishment... and pure surprise.
The gym was not empty as I imagined. There was a large white cloth with the phrase 'be my bright star' and Koushi had organised it just for me. Tears of happiness - but also guilt for not having trusted him and having told him such a bunch of silly things - started to roll down my cheeks.

"I-I... don't know what to say..." I giggled, my face still wet with tears.
He came to me and grazed my cheeks to remove my tears.
"Then don't say anything, because I have to ask you something. It took me all day to settle this" he said softly with a smile.
I looked around and just then I noticed all the Karasuno team boys and girls were there. I looked around and my eyes rested a bit upon Noya's face. His eyes, as wet as mine, were trying to hold back some tears but he nodded in a sign of encouragement.
I turned back to Koushi and he got one knee down onto the gym parquet.
Then he spoke: "I wanna marry you, [Name]".
Everything froze.

"WHA-? W-WAIT Koushi... I've never even had the chance to think about this... and we're so young..."
He then stood up and laughed out loud. He was so amused he couldn't stop himself from giggling.
"Don't worry, [Name]... it was a joke! I just want to ask you to be the one to gaze at the stars with... I'm asking you to be my girlfriend"
My smile grew wide. Oh, jeez! I'd been waiting for this such a long time!
But the problem was I didn't feel pleasant with all those people staring at me like that, so I leaned to whisper to his ear: "Yes, Koushi... I love you".

Noya will always be the one who understands me the best.
I know it was him who told everybody to go out of the gym and leave us alone.
When we were finally alone, he cupped my face with his hands and whispered me he loved me.
Then he finally kissed me.
It wasn't my first kiss. I had kissed two other boys before him but none of them deserved as much love as I wanted to give him. And none of them kissed me as he did then.

It was after some time that he spoke again.
His words were muffled and softened with emotion and still I could feel his heartbeat against my breast, but he still was a dork: "But, [Name]... How many children would you like?". And he grinned childishly.
I giggled and had a look at him. I noticed he still wore that silly t-shirt.
"Oh, I dunno" I remarked ironically "but first let's get this one off you".

The End.

~~~●••●••●~~~

Hi people..! ❤❤❤
As you can see, this is the last chapter of this story... before the epilogue 😉

I'd like to say a few words to thank everybody who's read this story and supported it with votes and comments..!
I really didn't expect such appreciation since this is my first long story here on Wattpad and I'm fully satisfacted with it!

So... see you next week for the epilogue chapter (don't miss it!) and don't forget there's a new story coming soon!
It will be a Nishinoya x reader... just give me a little time to work on it 😉

In the meantime, I'll keep writing and publishing Haikyuu x reader short stories, so I'm waiting for your requests!

Lots of love and thank yous. See you soon~
Shiri-Chan96 💖💖