14

tyler asks him if he got any sleep last night, and laughs a little. josh's answer is a lie, but he knows tyler doesn't really care anyway.

no show today. that's good. he gets dragged to a restaurant by tyler, who insists they need to eat here, and he spends that meal in a daze. he's too under dressed for this place, and don't even get him started on the candyfloss he calls his hair. he can feel everyone's eyes burning into him, accusing and scoffing behind his back. it's a miracle he manages to keep his steak down.

excited for tomorrow? tyler asks, and josh looks at him.

his hair has been cut again, immaculately neat, and he shaved this morning. his eyes are sparkling and he's clearly well-rested, no circles under his eyes.

josh? 

josh is the opposite. his hair is a wild mess of fading pink, so pale it's nearly white. he never properly washed off the red eye shadow from last night's show, so red streaks dot his eyelids. there's a five-o'clock shadow on his face. he can't bring himself to smile back- he's tired. too tired.

sorry, tyler, he says. just not feeling my best today. he attempts a smile, and it's the fakest one he's ever mustered. tyler beams back at him.

that's alright, josh! i bet you'll feel better in no time.

yeah, of course tyler would think that.

are we staying for dessert? josh asks, looking down at the remains of his steak. i'm not hungry anymore.

tyler frowns. yeah, cause y'need to eat. look at yourself! you're so skinny! he giggles. you look great, though, he adds, you always do.

does he think this is a date?

is he out of his mind?

right, he says quietly, takes a long sip of water, and pushes the tangle of curls out of his eyes. you too, tyler.

tyler blushes. god, he's absolutely out of his mind. 

you know this isn't a date, right tyler?

his smile wavers. well, it should be, he says, we've never gone on a proper date before.

josh stares him straight in the eyes, disbelief written all over his face. tyler stares back, confused, the blush fading from his cheeks.

abruptly, josh rises to his feet- the chair loud as it scrapes against the floor. he doesn't break eye contact with tyler as he says: i'll see you back at the hotel.

and he turns on his heel and strides out of the restaurant.