27

he wakes up alone.

(that's a surprise.)

it takes a moment to realize where he is. it's just the tour bus, no big deal.

josh gets to his feet and overwhelming nausea rolls over him. he covers his mouth with one hand and staggers to the bathroom, vomiting. his nose burns, his throat burns, his head is killing him.

what did he do last night?

memories are watercolors, sliding apart in his head, watered down and fading fast.

he calls out to tyler, gets no response.

tyler.

the name makes him shiver, and he doesn't quite know why.

suddenly the bus shakes and he hears someone board.

josh?

right here, he answers, but he doesn't know if the words actually come out.

tyler comes in, smiling, looking perfectly fine, not a crinkle or flaw in his outfit and face. how was last night, josh? did you like it?

i don't remember it, josh confesses it, and almost laughs. just a little bit. it throws tyler off.  he raises his eyebrows and blinks in surprise.

oh, huh. well, we've got about three hundred parties lined up for the next week, he says, and laughs. i'm kidding. but there are a fair bit.

panic starts rising in josh's throat, but he quells it, nods and tells tyler he can't wait. there's one tonight, apparently. oh, he can't wait. he's just bursting with excitement, isn't he now...

just as long as we, ah, keep it quiet, he tells tyler.

you mean, the drinking?

the drinking. the cursing. the... little... white... lines...

for a christian band, they sure are bad at staying sober.

(oh, what did he just do... what did he—)

(what did they just do?)

he stares at tyler, remembering the shy little christian boy who played piano for him in the living room of his parents' couch and cried when josh's friend mentioned weed.

this wasn't the same person.

and sure, people change. it's expected. 

but it isn't always for the better.

a/n: best kind of updates are the ones that are a year late. hey guyz whats up does anyone still read this (-: