24

tyler is smiling at him.

this tour was amazing, he says, pulling josh in for a hug. they both turn to face the audience, and the fakest of all fake tears glistens in tyler's eyes.

you all mean so much to me, tyler continues, thank you so much for coming out here to watch us perform.

he and josh fall into a bow, and in unison, chorus: we're twenty one pilots, and so are you.

there's a grin plastered on josh's face, but he's sweating bullets. last show of the tour. come on, tyler, quit the sappy crap, let's get off the stage already.

but he goes along with all of this. he says thank you to the crowd, watches them fall over themselves screaming.

he cares about them too, even if the feeling is unrequited. they just bring him so much worry, that he prefers not to stay out here any longer than needed. what if they think he's annoying? aren't they only here to see tyler, anyway?

that's okay. that's just— well, it's just fine, of course. he'll be off the stage in just a second now, and it'll be over.

no more tours.

not for him.

josh takes a deep breath and hugs tyler, pressing his face against tyler's shoulder. he hears the crowd scream, but doesn't acknowledge them.

it's over.

he's going to be okay.

tyler, get me off this stage before i pass out again—

he doesn't mean to say the words out loud, but he does, and tyler turns briefly terrified eyes on him, and nods, almost imperceptibly. 

then he faces the crowd again and continues with his sappy goodbyes.

josh unsticks himself from tyler and smiles at the fans, his eyes dancing around the stadium. god, it's huge. there are so many people.

don't focus on it, josh. don't focus on them, phone flashlights hurting his eyes, screams hurting his ears.

(he's okay. he's okay. he's... 

okay.)