28

and so it becomes a routine. 

parties. josh doesn't know how they keep getting all these invitations, but suddenly the entire world loves them. suddenly the entire world has decided they need to get drunk with these two little boys from columbus.

he spends the first few parties hiding away, nursing a drink he's taken two sips of and giving polite smiles to anyone who offers him anything else. after the disaster that was the first party, josh has steeled himself, convincing himself he can refuse anything they offer to him.

on the other hand, tyler loves it. he's the life of the party, every party. he's dancing on tables, he's accepting everything they give him, he's taking girls (and boys) into bedrooms and not coming out till later.

oh, josh wishes he could be like him...

so he tries.

he does, really.

this will be the party when he does. this will be the moment when he stands up and takes the spotlight.

is anyone watching?

-

guess what's tonight, tyler announces with a giant smile. 

big surprise. another party.

josh forces his smile and nods at tyler, expressing excitement. can't wait to go.

you'll have fun, right? tyler asks, brows furrowing momentarily. i always lose track of you when we go...

yeah, cause you're up dancing on a table, josh thinks but doesn't say— sure, tyler, i will.

tyler's face relaxes. cool. hey, do you want to go grab something to eat beforehand? got the old wendy's craving...

just like old times, josh grins back, his heart suddenly light. sure, tyler. let's go.

tyler has a nice smile, he notices. it's the only part of him that has stayed innocent and bright.

the only part.

-

where are they? what city, what state, what country?

the foyer of a mansion.

extravagant. the house is decorated to the nines; the guests are not. josh is in skinny jeans and a button-up shirt he scavenged from his room... they made it back to columbus last week. feels strange, seeing his parents faces again. tyler will start pressuring him to return to the studio soon.

he's in awe of the house, stood stock still, when tyler approaches him.

partying today, gawking later, he says, and hands josh a drink. come on, dude.

dude. ha. josh takes the drink and sips slowly. bad choice— it's no beer, it's something stronger, something made to be choked down as fast as possible. tyler is laughing.

take the shot, josh.

he does.

it burns, but at least it's over quickly. josh opens his mouth momentarily, exhaling, then closes it and frowns.

another drink?

yes, please.

tyler's words are echoing in his ears. partying today.

he'll show tyler a party.

he'll show him.

a/n: u bet ur ass imma write this damn party .. next chapter though . listen to Nice2KnoU by all time low bc holy hell my boyz