Chapter 36

Lauren's POV

I've been trying to contact Camila for an entire week now. I've texted her and called her, but she doesn't pick up, not even to give me a simple excuses. Information about Camila's brand new relationship were all over the Internet, and apparently fans already got photos with high quality of the perfect couple. I decided to disconnect myself from the chaos, it is already too painful to think about all the time they get to spend together, along with everyone's approval. 

This are some of the reason why instead of rushing to pick up Camila's call, I stare at the screen, not knowing what should I do. However, this might be my only chance to talk with her until the end of our vacations in a week and a half.

"Hello." I don't intent to sound happy, nor excited. The image is better today and I'm able to see her hesitation.

"How are you, Laur?" She smiles at me, but the gesture seems forced.

"You finally have time to talk, Camila? Who should I thank for this time you're so gently sharing with me?" I ask with anger. Camila needs to understand that what she's done isn't correct, she can't cut me out of her life so suddenly.

"I haven't had time, Laur. I saw your calls and I thought about calling back but then I forgot." I cannot believe my ears, it feels like a punch straight to my heart. "Sorry, it wasn't on purpose. I wanted to hear about you, know how you are, but I haven't had time." She repeats weakly. Camila isn't going to convince me about something she doesn't believe herself. "Anyways, how are you?"

"I'm busy." I say icily. "If don't mind, I've settled on with someone." Out of all the things I could have said, I fucking had to cut the conversation.

"Whit who?" Camila tries to hide her sadness, at least she still cares, even if it's a little.

"With a friend, someone who doesn't forget you through the night, even though you can also see each other once or twice in a year. Someone who is not just talking shit about missing you and instead does something about it." I hang up, not giving her a chance to react.

Camila's attitude leaves me speechless, in the worst way possible. How was she able to forget about me? To forget about how hard this whole situation is for me as well. I know I would have done anything to talk with her even for a couple of seconds, damned it, I did everything possible to. Besides, her image never leaves my thoughts. In fact after what happened in her house and with the dresses, taking her out of my thoughts have become impossible. Maybe the only explanation is that Camila is starting to change me for Jake. That if she hasn't done it yet.

I don't want to think more about it, only to get overwhelmed once again because of her fault. I didn't lie, though. I did settle on with an old friend of mine.

Last time I saw her she was just starting her modeling career. We usually talk and text, but it's never the same to real life interaction, or however you wanna call it. Focusing on everything I've to share with her, I start to get ready.

...

"Hi, Lauren!" I recognize her voice and immediately turn around. I'm welcome with her handmade features once again. Sarah is taller than me, she has blue eyes that shine with slightly tones of yellow and light-brown hair, almost blonde, that falls down her shoulders gracefully. The outfit she has chosen for the day brings out her beautiful body. I find myself smiling at the sight of her bright smile, which makes her nose, filled with freckles, wrinkle.

"Hi, Sarah!" I greet her, while we hug tightly. "Looks like the years have helped you out." I compliment her with a joke.

"Oh, shut up." She says giggling and stepping back. "I would say the same, but you've always been beautiful."

Camila's POV

I'm packing my things to go back to work. Back to the interviews, concert, awards and well, all of those things. I truly love every single part of what I get to do, I'm living my dream. However, I have a heavy weight drive into my heart which doesn't let me enjoy anything.

Lauren is no longer talking to me and if I'm being honest, I deserve it. I shouldn't have avoided her, but my fear made run away from my problems.

"Are you gonna miss me, princess?" Jack offered to help me pack.

"Of course." I smile at him. In reality, what I want to do is to stay as away from him as possible and stop faking most of my emotions. I'm tired of forcing myself to be happy, the worst is that I feel horrible for him, he's do nothing to deserve this. Besides, I may have done something I know I wasn't supposed to. Therefore, I'm aware of why I deserve Lauren's hate.

"What's wrong?" He hugs me from behind, laying his head on my shoulder. "You're too distant. Did I do something?"

"No, you didn't." I turn around to look for his embrace. Lately, this has become the only place I feel protected. "It's just that..."

"That?" He tries to peck my lips but I move and he ends up kissing my cheek. Jack still smiles, maybe thinking I'm being playful. I like it when he smiles, it brings out his charming self. He hasn't changed much since High School, Jack is still a fantastic person.

"This is just so complicated, you know?" I wish he could stop smiling, because it is starting to confuse me more that it should.

"I know, but I'll wait for you, until you come back home. If I can I'll even scape to one of your concerts. We'll be in touch, Mila, I promise to write you constantly, to tell you how happy your smile makes me, how I'm dying to see your precious eyes, how I'm wishing to kiss you. I'll tell you everyday that I dreamed about you the night before, and I'll complain about not having you around, but I'll just make me more excited to see you whenever we have the chance. It'll be alright, I promise." He says sweetly, holding my face with the palm of his hands, and connecting our gazes.

Jake's words are always beautiful and they are starting to make my heart shrink. I feel the need to ask him if he cares about me, I need to hear someone saying that, but right now I don't deserve it. I am lying to Jake, to my fans and specially to myself. Lauren deserves so much more than this coward girl.

"You think I'm pretty?" I dedicate him the best of my smiles.

"The question is a little bit stupid, Mila." He laughs. "You're the most beautiful girl my eyes have ever seen."

Then I have enough of that and I set myself free from his gentle grip. I finish packing and finally, after an hour and a half or maybe more, Jake leaves. I don't know until when I am going to see him again, I just hope it isn't any time soon. Maybe the next time he sees me, he'll hate me, cutting him out of my life might be the best for the both of us, specially for him, he's such a good guy. There is no way this won't end wrong, I cannot continue playing with his feelings. I'm giving him something that in any moment I will snatch from him, because my love doesn't belong to Jake, it belongs to my green-eyed beauty. The thought of Lauren makes my chest hurt. The lump appears in my throat again and I contain my tears. I feel beyond guilty.

"Honey, Jake already left?" My mom asks, entering to my room.

"Yeah"

"Are you okay, Mila?" She looks at me concerned. "I know you are going to miss him, but..."

"No, mom!" I explode, I cannot contain it anymore. "I'm not going to miss Jack at all. Who I am going to miss is Lauren, because thanks to this lie you live to live in, now the one person I love the most hates me!"

_______________
Hope you like it xoxo