Things have changed

*now*

When I first started this job, they told me to "always have a smile on my face". They said that I should always say "yes, Sir", "of course, Sir" and "Thank you, Sir". They said, that it was a privilege to work at a company like this.

But just two months of taking Coffe orders and bringing Muffins to "hard working" office rats taught me, that all of those people don't give a shit if I smile or not. They don't care if I say anything when I bring them their Starbucks Coffe and a chocolate chip cookie.

I can't say that I'm happy with my job. But on the other hand, it's paying my bills.
And at the end of the day I still have enough money to get a Starbucks Coffe myself!

With a little notebook in my hands, I enter the small café two blocks from "ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRIES", a company that's animating short movies for schools everywhere in America.
A company, full of people who are way too fond of themselves.
A company, that's having high standards but pays enough money to make up for the disrespectful attetude of some coworkers.

I heard the little bell above my head jiggling and a big smile made its way to my face.
The smile got even bigger, once I saw a big mob of hair peeking over the counter.

"Ray, my friend, how are you doing?", I asked and gave my best friend a little hug over the counter.
"Just as always. Some annoying costumers but... nothing I can't handle", he answers grinning.

"So what can I do for you today?"
I slide my notebook over to Ray and wait for him to read over the orders I wrote down on the page.

"Seems like Mr. Darley is back form Russia", is everything Ray says before he turns around to start with my order.

Mr. Darley, 57 years old, married, 2 kids, my boss and my mother's best childhood friend. If it wasn't for him, I'd never have this job. His order is the same every day:
Coffe with two sips of milk and no sugar. Every. Single. Day.

"Yeah, he came back yesterday morning", I say and look around the café.
I've never seen anybody here at this time of the day. All of the Coffe junkies get their personal drug at the Starbucks in the middle of town.
There were only three people who came here on a regular basis, but it seems like that's enough to keep it going.

"I see", I hear Ray over the sound of the Coffe machine.
No more words were spoken until a rather small man with black hair and way too much eyeliner stumbled through the backdoor. The smell of cigarettes and cheap, bitter Parfum filled the room and I had to stop breathing for a second to keep myself from coughing.

"Hey GeeGee", the black haired man smiled and waved at me before leaning against Ray who was currently pouring some Coffe into a plastic mug.
"Hey Petey", I greeted and laughed at the hyperactive 23-year-old.

"Takin' orders again, aren't we?", Pete winked at me
I just rolled my eyes and chuckled
"Like taking orders, huh? You know who absolutely LOVES giving orders? My friend F-..." before Pete could finish his sentence, Ray rammed his elbow against Pete's hip and successfully shut him up

"What was that for Ray?!", screeched Pete and rubbed his side
"Damn Pete. I haven't told him about that yet!", whispered Ray but even tho the sound of the machine made it really hard for me, I still heard what he was saying.

"What haven't you told me yet?", I asked, clearly confused
Ray sighed and glared at Pete, who just grinned back innocently.

"Well... Pete and I though...", he searched for the right words whilst putting the plastic mugs on a paper stand, so I could carry them better
"Listen Gerard, I've been your best friend for almost eight years now and you've been single so long now, so I thought... well... Pete and I thought that we could... help you with that"

I looked at Ray, then at Pete, then back at Ray, then at Pete

"I told you I'm not going to go out with you, Pete!", I said trying to stay calm

"Oh, GeeGee", sighed Pete but started laughing shortly after, "Even tho you don't know what you're missing out... we're not talking about me"

I stayed quiet and turned to Ray instead.
"You can at least give it a try. Pete's friend is totally your type. In fact, he's just like you. He likes Back Flag, Green day and Misfits, he's working at the comic book store nearby Pete's flat and he's totally hot!"

Now I actually had to laugh, because hearing Ray, the straightest guy I know, talking about that just seemed so unreal to me.
"You're absolutely going to love him", said Pete rather quickly.

"Thanks guys but I really don't need to be set up with somebody. If I wanted to be in a relationship, I would already have a boyfriend. I don't have time for that just now", I said, still giggling a bit.

"B-But... we may have... already... told that guy that you'd like to meet him and set up a date for you", murmured Ray, looking at the ground guiltily.

"Y-You WHAT?!", my fists collided with the wooden counter and I saw Pete and Ray jump a bit.

"Come on GeeGee... at least try it!", I heard Pete in the backround say.

"No, I told you that I don't need anybody", my fists clenching the counter.

"But Gee...", tried Ray but I didn't even let him finish.
I grabbed the paper stand with four Coffe mugs in it and gave ray some Money.

"One last time: No!", I hissed before I turned around.

"Idiots. Setting up a date. Without even asking... bloody Bastards", I whispered to myself as I breathed out heavily.

Storming out of the Café I left Ray and Pete speechless just staring at each other, then at the door wondering what the hell just happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keys in my hands I climbed up the stairs to my apartment. Today had been exhausting.
Not only because of all the office rats pushing me around but also because of what happened back at the Café.

I couldn't get it out of my head, no matter how hard I tried.
I shouldn't have been that mad at Ray and Pete. They only wanted to help me.

And they're right, I haven't been in a relationship for 9 years now.

"Snap out of it", I hissed and pushed the door open.
I threw my keys on the kitchen table and put my jacket back in the closet.

I entered the kitchen and opened the fridge.
Great... I forgot to go to the supermarket. That means that I'd have to skip dinner today. Not that I wasn't used to skipping meals by now.
I did that way too often as a teenager.

A sigh on my lips I sat down on my black leather couch and stared at the empty TV screen.

Ray was right. I've been single for so long.
Maybe I should apologise.
Maybe I should even give it a try.

I looked around my apartment. Yeah... it would be nice to come home, knowing somebody was waiting for me.

"Ugh fuck it", I whispered and grabbed my phone, before I started typing a message to Ray.

To: Ray Toro
From: Gerard Way
Sorry for today.
Job's been exhausting
I'll give it a try

It took Ray exactly 2 minutes and 47 seconds to respond

To: Gerard Way
From: Ray Toro
Knew you'd give in sooner or later :D
Next Wednesday 20:30 at the bar on 6th Ave

I sighed and put my phone away again

I knew I'd regret this decision