Second

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Second--Bombs Away

Summary: During her 'student's mental breakdown, Minene reveals how much she cares and then cons the girl into bombing a school.

I wish...I wish...I don't know what I wish.

Do I wish the Future Diary game never existed? Do I wish I wasn't a part of it? No. If I wasn't, who would have known what was going to happen? Who would I not have met? Would Minene die? Would she be okay? Would I be okay?

I wish...I wish.

The blonde knew what she wished that day. She didn't know exactly what wishing meant, what it entailed. Should she have changed her wish? She didn't know. She does now.

Bright stars swirled across the midnight blue sky. A vast expanse of painted swaths of sky covered the clouds, rendering them nonexistent; a forgotten memory. The blonde sat outside under the starry sky, her eyes trained upon the gas balls burning their beauty in the boundless heavens.

Her hair lay whisked over her shoulder, which had been tightened into a quick braid to keep the strands from slipping out while she sparred Minene one last time before calling it a night. Her muscles burned with exhaustion and pain. All for nothing.

She didn't win.

Minene had told the resilient girl to take a rest. She didn't want to, but at the same time, fatigue overcame her.  Limbs ached and strained from all the training the girl  did, especially when she went out for something.

She shot and sliced and sprinted herself silly. In an isolated place such as this, a hunter's cabin, the sounds could echo freely and not matter. The guns were clean, the knives were hanging up where the objects had been before, the area as clean as she could get it.

She wasn't a lazy person. She had trained diligently, until She had collapsed and fallen asleep in the dirt. When she woke, Minene stood over her, scolding the tired wretch. She had made a mistake, but she didn't know it. She didn't think she would ever be able to tell what it had been.

"Mom...Dad? Can you see me up there?" She asked. "Can you see who I've become?"

Her hands rested on her chin, propping herself up as she sat with her elbows on the railing. "Can you see your daughter, who threw away everything you gave her?"

The stars glittered, twinkling in breathtaking majesty. She took that as a yes. The girl knew she was crazy.

Talking to herself, seeing strange hallucinations...but what if she wasn't? Since Minene was part of the survival game, and it was run by her illusions, then...was there a chance she was sane? Possibly. Why not talk to stars? It wouldn't matter. No one would be able to see her anyway.

"Your darling, precious daughter. She's dead, Mom. Dad. Your little girl died with you." The blonde laughed softly. "I'm an imposter who took her place in a different world, a world inside my mind." Tears dripped down her cheeks. "I have no right to call you family. I killed you," she whispered.

She didn't. She hadn't, but she had convinced herself if she had moved a little faster, they wouldn't have died. So, no. It wasn't her fault. She didn't kill them.

But she had convinced herself it was her fault.

"Can you send your daughter's replacement a sign?" She sobbed. "A sign that you understand and that you hate her? You hate her for killing you and your daughter? That's what happened!" The girl screamed. She didn't care if Minene heard. So what if she did?