Sixth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Sixth--School Sucks

Summary: Amaya attends school for the first time in a few years, and finds an unexpected surprise waiting.

Amaya slipped her bag over her shoulder and headed out, not glancing back. A remarkable feat in itself, seeing as she wanted to turn tail and run where no one could find her. The girl tucked a few tendrils of raven hair behind her ear. The strands must have escaped the messy, wild bun she had put her hair in.

For once, Amaya wasn't glaring at everyone in sight--namely, a pretty girl with brown hair cut short in back and left long in the front; an equally pretty (if not delicate) girl with lavender hair. She was too nervous about the quickly approaching school. It was too much like past/normal life. Like the life she had led before the incidents. The life full of love and hatred and family and friends and death. The life she both loved and hated.

The life of night rain.

Amaya fished her Diary out of her bag, slinging the cloth sack back over her shoulder, the straps rubbing against my sore collarbone. She flipped open the phone, before tapping a few icons and arriving at the 'Diary' function.

She had opened a separate diary page so she could write whatever she cared to, document her surroundings, plan ahead, organize her resources, and write out things about the Diaries and the Game so she could have peace of mind.

She didn't want to accidentally mess with her Future Diary. Amaya already used it enough to as it was. Getting a 'Dead End' flag because she used the Diary too much would not be good. The girl had resolved to use her Diary for nothing more than important situations. Did the first day of school in years count? Sure it was a big step for her, but probably not worthy of Diary use.

As her laced black boots scuffed across the pavement, she forced her eyes away from the diary screen long enough to stop herself from colliding into the two girls from up the street. Her chapped lips pursed in an aggravated expression as she tried to shoulder her way on.

The brunette placed a hand on her previously wrenched shoulder, but the girl tried to conceal the wince. Her nails dug softly into my bruised, bare shoulder. Amaya's muscles tensed, her hand clenching painfully around her open cellphone. She wanted to sneak a glance at her Diary screen, but something told her she shouldn't. Amaya met the girl's brown eyes instead.

She had a friendly smile on her face, a tilted grin that served to make me wary; I felt an enormous feeling of deja vu. I attempted to give a pleasant yet confused smile to her and the other girl. The attempt must have worked, seeing as there were no confused faces.

"Can I help you with something?" I asked, not unkindly.

"Are you lost?" The brunette countered. Amaya felt taken aback.

"We saw you looking at your phone. Do you need directions?" The other girl piped, her voice soft, bubbly, and high pitched.

Well, in truth, a bit of help would be nice. It wasn't because she needed the help, Amaya had a Diary...which she had sworn not to use. She didn't need help! She was just lazy...yeah. Lazy and manipulative. Amaya allowed a grateful smile to grace her features.

"Yeah, actually. I'm starting at a school near here, Umesa-" she was cut off rather abruptly as the two girls grabbed her arms and began to drag her down the street to where she assumed her aforementioned destination lay. Hot anger rushed through her. Sure they were trying to help, but act like a normal person and walk! Don't just act like a maniac.