Eighteenth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Eighteenth--Hurtful Words

Summary: Akise convinces his friends to go on a trip to resolve their differences, at the same time conducting a search that may turn dangerous.

Hinata and Amaya stood off to the side, both hearts pounding and both girls nervous. Here, in an unfamiliar place Akise had made both of them come to, he had asked them to resolve their differences. Mao conversed quietly with him, a glare on her face. Akise knew it didn't matter, that she faked the expression so Hinata would believe it would be okay to get mad at Amaya.

The problem? Hinata didn't want to get mad at Amaya. She just wanted her forgiveness. Her forgiveness for trying that awful trick that nearly cost Amaya the rest of her fleeting time. The brunette gulped softly.

"You wanted to talk," the dark haired teen said softly. "I'm listening, so talk." Hinata swallowed, but couldn't bring herself to say anything. "I don't blame you," Amaya spoke quietly, taking the initiative to apologize instead. "I understand. I would have done the same, if my parents were threatened. I don't blame you," she reiterated. The brunette visibly sighed with relief.

"I was really mad before, and I understand that I didn't handle the situation in the best way possible. I should have talked things over. But at the same time, I had a right to be mad. You did endanger my life, after all. You did lie and cheat and endanger every single one of us, except for Mao since she was in on it. You did try to kill Akise. Tell me, if he hadn't been smart enough to avoid you, would you have slit his throat?"

Hinata trembled from the force of her angry words. "I want an honest answer, Hinata. I might forgive you more if you tell me the truth. Don't tell me what you think I might want to hear. What I want to hear is the truth."

Hinata swallowed, tried not to cry, and nodded.

Amaya smiled softly in satisfaction. "I see," she said, noting the way Hinata trembled and refused to look at her. She felt terrible after all, and although Amaya was still mad at her, she didn't want that anger to get between their salvageable friendship. She took two or three steps towards the girl and wrapped her arms around her. Amaya caught sight of Akise smirking at her and stuck out her tongue.

Hinata jumped in surprise and nearly started to cry. Amaya rolled her eyes, uncomfortable with the tears. She pulled away after a moment, hiding her annoyance. "Yeah yeah," she muttered. "No big deal. Just forget it happened, and all. I just want to forget it happened."

"Yeah," Hinata exclaimed, launching into another hug. Amaya let out a noise that an animal would make at being stepped on unexpectedly--a strangled, squashed sound. "Amaya, thanks." Hinata stepped back with an embarrassed smile.

Amaya rolled her eyes, a smile gracing her face. "Again, no problem." Kousaka grumbled something at this, something Akise sent a glare at. Amaya smiled briefly again, laughing blithely before walking to Akise, Mao, and Kousaka. Their hands bumped as she stood at his side. A smirk crossed Hinata's face.

Akise shot her a warning glare, face still twisted into a pleasant smile. The brunette backed off, running a hand awkwardly over her neck.

Five hours into the trip, Amaya had just now gotten up her courage to talk to th brunette. Mao had said nothing to her still. Akise had told her the other girl was mad at her for not speaking to them, and for causing Hinata to feel sad and to worry. Mao had said nothing when Akise asked her, however, staying silent. She had talked to Akise, but Mao could hold grudges longer than Amaya's capacity to create them.