Tenth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Tenth- Memory Retrieval

(Above is a picture of Amaya after she dyed her hair. Just figure you guys would like a visual.)

"Wait, but where are we going?" Minene had a firm grip on my arm, her fingers digging in as she dragged me down the sidewalk. I refused to dig my heels in, although there was merit to the idea. If Minene wanted to drag me along without an explanation, there must have been something wrong. I hefted the heavy bag over my shoulder yet again, readjusting the frayed strap keeping the bag from becoming a sack. I needed to keep my mouth shut. When there was time to talk, I was sure Minene would answer.

The sun wasn't out today, so cold chills raced up and down my spine as we walked hurriedly along the back streets of Sakurami City. It was a cold summer this year, but according to Akise, temperatures were going to rise in a few days. As if. I tightened my hold on my bag, adjusting the strap on my shoulder so that the cloth wasn't pressing down on the bone there.

"We had to get out of there, Squirrel. There was no other choice." I blinked, confused. Why didn't she tell me this earlier? "I didn't tell you because you worry too much, and it's dumb. We have more important things to think about." I nodded, because the explanation made sense. Once again, she could tell what I was thinking.

"Okay, but where are we going? I have a feeling I should know this time around." Minene sighed, before ducking into an abandoned alley and pulling out her phone.

"The Fourth has an officer on our trail. I doubt he knows exactly what he's doing, but the guy's the one who we met that day. I worked with him when I was pretending to be that officer girl. You know, a couple days before the whole Diary concept was introduced?" I nodded.

"Masumi Nishijima. That's his name. Annoying, has no filter?" I nodded yet a second time. "He knows both of us, and it was the best time to get out of there while we still could. I'm not comfortable with the Fourth watching us. There's something uneasy about the whole situation. Now shush. We're hopping this wall. If you fall, I'm leaving you behind."

I stared up at the monstrosity of the wall, bricks gone from their places and the mortar chipped and missing from some spaces. This little escapade was going to be dangerous, seeing as it was nearly fifteen feet tall. If I fell from the top of that, I might break something.

My bag hefted over my shoulder, I began to climb. There was a small hole, so I tested that with my feet and found that it held. My fingers clenched in a small groove from chipped mortar, and I swung myself up and over, ending up with a leg by my shoulder. Not the most comfortable position, sure, but I pushed up with the same leg and rose another couple of inches. I was in the middle of reaching up for another hold while Minene was climbing behind me, when memory struck.

"Look, Onee-chan! We're here!" Akira runs up and leaps into Akari's arms, messing with her blonde hair. She has the telltale brown eyes like the rest of my family, I'm the only one with blue. Akari turns to me and smiles, she's extraordinarily pretty.

If only she had a chance to become even prettier.

My sister has a weird sort of disease, and it inhibits her in quite a few ways. She loses weight a lot, without even doing anything. The doctors say that's dangerous, and she's had to be hospitalized because of it several times. Sometimes she gets really dizzy and faints. There are also migraines...those are the worst. She gets headaches that leave her sick for days. The doctors don't have a name for the illness yet, because they haven't seen anything like it. Mom and Dad withdrew her from school for the next few months...