Eighth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Eighth--Step Up And Play

Summary: Amaya promises to get more involved in the Game, but before she can do so, gets a call from someone that dredges up her past.

"What do you mean the cops are on your tail?" Amaya half-shouted into the phone. Minene had gotten herself into a mess yet again, and the black haired girl was thoroughly frustrated.

This had been happening since she had restarted school (with the unhelpfulness of the Fourth and Masumi Nishijima). Minene no longer had Amaya to yell at in their new place, and therefore she was bored.

"I meant what I said, are you going deaf?" She scoffed. Amaya scowled. "I'm gonna ditch 'em by the grocer on the corner of that one street. You know the place. Meet me three blocks from the park, west."

"That one store on that one corner of that one street? Of course I know it, how specific can that get?" Amaya shouted, already hefting her bag off her shoulder and grabbing a hoodie and a hat. These articles of clothing she shoved into the fabric death trap, fumbling with the snap.

Minene chuckled on the other end of the call. The laugh was punctuated by panting, and a desperate shout from a probably desperate officer. "Get her!"

Yeah, because that was what was going to happen. Sure.

Amaya laughed before running out the door, racing towards the corner of the street that led to where Minene wanted her to go. The girl was in flip flops, slogging along in the purple shoes too small for her since a year ago. Some people stared at her strangely, but she just glared and they quickly cleared away as she pounded into a light jog.

"Hey, Minene," Amaya called into the phone.

"What is it, Squirrel?" She queried.

"What did you do to get caught?" She queried.

"Some white haired guy ratted me out." Her eyebrows raised as she took in the information, before turning the corner. "It was a dye to make him look younger. He was obviously a brunette."

The balls of her feet ached from the relentless pounding. Her headache had come and since a week ago, when her friends took me to the amusement park. She had slammed her head against the side of a ride, hard.

As if merely thinking about it brought back the bitter memories, Amaya's hand went to her neck as she pushed past people in the crowd. The bruises had mostly healed, leaving only the faintest trace of blue and purple.

The first day after, she had worn a bandage around her neck. Her friends had asked tons of questions, and she had the sneaking suspicion one of them had already figured out some sort of theory.

When she had walked to the door at the beginning of the school day, the girl was plagued with an assault of questions from the two girls in the sort of trio the three of them formed.

Hinata wouldn't take no for an answer, demanding to know exactly what had gone on. Mao had worriedly argued with Amaya's attempt at silence. Nothing the two of them said or shouted made any difference.

Akise, however, was another story.

Seeing as he was creepily smart and deductive, he managed to guess the girl had gotten in a fight. How he knew that wasn't clear, but it wasn't hard to guess. However, his comments made her shirk away, until she ended up eating lunch alone, trying not to launch into a full-scale breakdown. Not crying, but mentally hyperventilating.