Fifth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Fifth--Never Gone

Summary: After meeting with the Fourth, Minene's accomplice is left to decide on her future and determine if she really is who she says she is.

"So you basically want me to choose a name for myself. Reinventing who I want to be. That's what this is about? Creating a believable backstory for myself?" The girl questioned. Kurusu hesitated, before nodding.

"In theory, yes. But be careful with the name you choose. It may come to mean more to you than you think," he said. She rolled her eyes.

Where had she heard that before? The girl knew she recognized the words.

Be careful, you don't know what you will come to treasure in the end.

She knew what she had to do, to prove something to herself.

She just didn't like it.

She scanned a list of names Kurusu had gotten together for some reason. Like she didn't have a name she was supposed to like.

She was going to start over, completely clean. No longing for what she couldn't have. The girl's family was dead and they were never going to come back. She had no way to do that and she sure didn't want to find a way. The dead were dead and that was the way it was.

If she had to do this for anyone--well, it was bad enough she was doing it for others and not herself. She wanted to do this for someone alive. The dead were dead and she didn't need to tarnish their memory by acting like she knew what they would have wanted, like that person was still alive. That was called manipulating people. Sure, she did that all the time, but this was different. She couldn't see exactly how, but it just was.

The girl scanned the list, her eyes running over the paper. Minutes passed, but she didn't settle on anything. It seemed like she wasn't reading anything. Nothing at all. It took her several minutes to realize that she was reading the same name over and over again. She had already decided. It took her several minutes more to voice her conviction.

"This one," she said, pointing to the five lettered word. He took the paper from the girl and she showed him what name she had selected. It wasn't a difficult choice. It was already made for her. Not some fake ID, nothing like that.

Minene made an indifferent noise as she glared at Kurusu with untrustworthy eyes. The girl was glad she came, but the black haired teen also didn't know why she bothered if all she was going to do was stand there.

"You chose the name Amaya?" She asked incredulously. The girl nodded, looking down. She paused, before taking her gaze off of her phone screen. "It suits you."

A sickening pain began twisting in her gut. She was weak. Cowardly, spineless, and too attached to things of the past. The girl looked down. Anyone smart enough could guess this was her real name. It wasn't that hard. She simply guessed it just didn't occur to Minene, and if Kurusu guessed then he kept silent.

Years ago, she had hated the name Amaya. My sibling all had normal names: Akari, Akihiko, Akira...and then there was her, plain, simple Amaya. The girl who got into fights and was a bitch to practically everyone. The girl who felt unwanted. Not because of anything her parents had done. Or her family. Or her friends. She hated the world because of herself and all it had done.