Twelfth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Twelfth- Get A Grip

The rustling in the bushes faded away, and after several moments of fearful, terrified silence, Mao let out a trembling sob as she covered her mouth and looked at the gruesome scene in front of her, at the remains of her closest friend.

The purple haired girl let a tear slip from her cheek, but the crushing sadness couldn't compete with the racing fear still pumping her heart in an accelerated fashion. Amaya stared, blank gazed, hardly seeing, barely knowing, not responding, her thoughts and heart beating to a symphonic tune.

My fault. My fault. My fault. My fault.

"I-It can't be!" Mao sobbed, still too scared to cry fully, to break down the way she probably should have. Everything seemed distorted and fake, wavering and transparent. Amaya's vision doubled in on itself; suddenly she could see somehow another scene, gasping and desperate as her breath heaved in and out, a shuddering, pained cry leaving her lips as she seemed to crumble in on herself.

Mao sobbed silently behind her. Amaya flinched as the girl's wracked breathing hit her ears, the pattern desperately jumbled. Why? Why had this happened? The crushing numbness engulfed her, twisting and shattering valuable pieces she didn't have time to pick up.

Hinata, the first person to truly accept her in a long, long time, had just gone to where Amaya kept losing the people she loved.

The lively brunette lay facedown in the blood smeared grass, so still, and suddenly it became all Amaya could think about, all she could see, her thoughts on the form of Mikuru, strewn pieces of her everywhere, her sightless eyes wide open and her arms just at Amaya's feet, a testimony to her ill-fated escape attempt. Mikuru, a casualty of Amaya's friendship. Hinata, another tally to the list.

What had she done to deserve this? Hinata had never deceived anyone, had never even been involved in what Amaya suspected would try to kill her, nothing. She should have lived. Hinata, gone forever.

Who had killed her? Rage flared in Amaya's heart, burning hate and spite for whoever had taken Hinata's life. She had done nothing, and these people simply killed to kill again!

So this was how the families of the people she had killed felt.

This reaction told her more than she had ever imagined, how had she not known? Her point of view switched suddenly. This, this was what she had been missing, this sense that told her that everything she had been working for during two years had been the wrong choice. Minene... following her choices... that decision... had been wrong.

My fault. My fault. My fault. My fault.

My...Fault...

All mine.

Amidst the commotion, in the middle of the terrifying, crushing fear, Amaya came back to her senses, breathing in deeply and letting out a shuddering breath. It was not time to contemplate her choices right now. That did not matter at this moment. The people with her mattered, as well as their imminent death if the group did not move.

And yet, Amaya could not tear her eyes away, could not break her gaze from the gruesome sight of Hinata's torn body. They needed to do something for her, at least... though Amaya did not know what.

Motion caught her trained eye, and her hand went to the knife in her pocket before realizing that her weapon lay in the recesses of her bag, still in the classroom and still out of reach when she would need it. Mao clung trembling to her elbow, hand over her mouth and fingers clenching in the sleeve of Amaya's light jacket.