Seventh

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Seventh--A Beating Drum

Summary: Amaya is dragged to an amusement park.

It wasn't that hot out. Amaya had expected the temperature level to be a bit higher, but it had actually dropped some. Not so much that she was shivering, but enough to make her wish she had a jacket.

She shrugged off the feeling, slinging her bag over her shoulder as she walked down the steps. The girl was completely sore from getting beaten up yesterday.

This meant that she needed to train more so she didn't have to rely on anyone to get herself out of this fix. So she could take care of fighting people without having to worry about anyone else.

The rest of the day had been as boring as the morning. Amaya had remained silent and sullen, only grudgingly talking to Hinata, Nonosaka, or Akise. The purple haired girl had insisted on walking with her outside, because she was going to wait for Hinata there. Amaya noticed her shivering, but stopped herself before she could ask if Nonosaka was all right.

"Nonosaka-chan, do you need to go inside?" Amaya queried. The taller girl looked down at her. "I can manage on my own." Amaya slipped her bag off of her shoulder and took out the last granola bar she had. "Here."

She accepted the food. Amaya internally smiled. "Please, call me Mao." Amaya blanched. Mao smiled softly, before continuing. "We're your friends. It's okay to call us by our first names."

The black haired girl stared at her curiously. She was only about an inch taller than Amaua, but for some reason it seemed much more of a vast difference. There was that word again, friends. Amaya didn't like it. Mao seemed to sense that, and said nothing.

"Mao-chan," Amaya asked quietly, "Why do you and Hinata want to be friends with me? I'm rude and mean. I like being alone. I've always been that way."

"Because Hinata saw something that said you were lonely. She always befriends people like that until they find their way. But you're going to stay close to us. I can tell." Amaya stared at the girl.

Before she could ask any more questions, Hinata ran triumphantly down the steps. Mao's camera flashed. Amaya blinked in confusion. Akise walked more calmly down the steps behind her. She surveyed Hinata' expression and Akise's cool, collected smile. Immediately, Amaya turned to leave.

"Later. I gotta get home." The girl began to book it out of there, knowing that whatever Hinata had planned was probably going to involve interacting with the trio more than she would have wanted. Mao's hand caught her wrist, freezing her in place.

"We're going to the amusement park!" Hinata cheered. Amaya groaned. Minene was expecting her back to their little hideout, and she had homework she had to do for the first time in forever. Things needed to be done, and she needed to do them.

"I have to leave. Like, now. I have to get home. I have homework to do, and I don't want to go to some dumb amusement park," Amaya said. Mao looked at her strangely.

In truth, the excursion sounded fun, but it wasn't like Amaya could let anyone know that. She still wasn't used to the idea of 'friends' and hanging out with them. Amaya doubted she would be for quite some time.

Mao's light grip relaxed. Both Hinata and Akise had reached the other two by now, and Amaya took a step away from the three of them, hoping against hope they would let her leave. Mao looked concerned.

Since when had Amaya mattered? Since when had it all become like this? She was pathetic. What the hell was she doing, standing here, letting others worry? She was weak.