Seventeenth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Seventeenth--Trust Lost, Trust Earned

Summary: Amaya struggles to deal with Hinata and Mao's betrayal, as well as problems caused by Minene.

Pounding footsteps paved the path to the park, the park other than Sakurami Central. Phone clasped to her ear, tight in her fist, Amaya ran unsteadily. The voice babbling in her ear gave her a time of ten minutes. Ten minutes to get there, because time had quickly ticked off the clock in the form of long days.

Her feet slammed down in hurried sounds in a near sprint. Her heart beat in time with her racing footsteps, Akise trailing after her hurriedly. He could barely keep up with the long-distance runner, more proof for--

More proof for what? He should have assumed that she couldn't run quickly; he doubted he had ever seen her run besides the day Hinata had tried to kill him. Had she carried her Diary with her that day? Shouldn't she have been able to avoid them if she had her Diary?

The questions spiraled in his mind quick as leaves caught in a thundering gust. Dismissing them with a shake of his head, Akise sucked in a desperate breath and followed Amaya. He vaguely worried that she would damage her wounds further of she carried on running. However? Akise knew nothing would keep her from getting to her destination. To the person on the other end of the phone. Noting he said would matter.

He secretly wished in the back of his mind that she would relentlessly run to him like that. That was simply the jealousy talking. Right?

Sure.

The moment the new kids had come to school--scratch that. He didn't want to sound cliché, even in his own thoughts, but the moment Amaya came to his school things started getting weird. Sure, she had been curious and aggravating on the park bench that rainy night, but now she was a mystery.

He could remember that night clearly.

He had walked out of his house, needing a break from the constant silence of his home. His parents had gone, still on their trip, leaving him alone.

For someone as sociable as himself, silence did not suit him. He did not find the presence of nothing companionable. While others would paint the sky for peace and quiet, he had more than enough silence in his life, and would sell his soul for someone to talk to.

He also just preferred the sky blue.

Like her eyes.

When he strolled along with his umbrella, seeing her had been a stroke of good luck. He didn't expect to find his next conversation lying on the ground in the rain, cursing out life in her head from the look on her face. When she had slipped and he had caught her, it had felt nice to play the hero for the damsel in distress. Even if all he did was prevent her from falling into cold water.

However, he knew her well now, and Amaya would never be simply a damsel in distress.

That night, he had found her increasingly common; increasingly normal and boring and cold. However, when she asked what it was he searched for, he did not have an answer. He did not even know he searched at all. All of his life, answers crowded at his fingertips. They begged him to reach and snatch them out of the air.

Yes, his surprising intellect allowed him to make sense of things. However, the only answer that proved him right time and time again was from an old saying he had heard about. Honestly? Akise was tired. Not all in the physical sense.

HIs mind was tired. He thrived in confusing environments with intelligent people, but this here, this game, made him tired and energetic at the same time. So incredibly alive, with everything going on to make sense of, with Yuno and even Amaya to investigate.