Sixteenth

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Unlucky Thirteenth

Sixteenth--Secrets Are No Fun Unless You Share With Everyone

Bright blue eyes caught his quickly, and he looked up. She slumped behind her desk, and he smiled. Amano had stayed home sick, apparently. Over the weekend, he had contracted some type of cold, and had become too sick to return to school, and the text from his phone. Akise reached over, pencil in hand, and poked Amaya in the side.

Amaya yelped, and everyone in the class turned in their seats. Akise quickly wiped the smile off his face before everyone saw the satisfied smirk scrawled across his features. Mao looked for the source of the noise, before Hinata jabbed her firmly in the arm.

Class was almost over, and Akise couldn't wait until the bell rang. Kousaka looked absolutely baffled. Why had he chosen to surround himself with idiots?

"Everything okay, Amaya?" He asked, struggling to conceal a laugh. She sighed and nodded with her face red. Five minutes. Five minutes and she would be free.

Sitting in front of Akise amounted to as much torture as she supposed. Every second he got he poked her or whispered things in her ear--which she hated or pretended to hate. Really, the attention was sweet and she practically craved every second of sentences whispered in her ear, but when those actions drew attention from the entire room she drew the line.

Once the teacher and the classmates had turned away, she wheeled on Akise. "Would you quit it?" She whispered, her face a faint shade of red. He laughed lightly and leaned over the desk, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. Amaya slapped at his hand lightly, her expression completely flushed. She glanced around but avoided looking at Hinata and Mao, shunning them. Amaya wasn't comfortable with her relationships thrown out in the open for everyone to know about.

Akise settled back into his chair comfortably, glancing at her and the empty seat next to him. Hinata met his gaze in that instant, and she too looked at the empty chair. Amaya had swiveled back to the board a few seconds earlier, and he covered up the surge of discomfort rushing through him.

Whenever he even thought of her, a warning bell practically rang in his head. No matter how strongly that went off, however, he found that simply being with her eased the nervousness and the feeling of not belonging. To him, Amaya represented home. No matter how strongly a seemingly orchestrated feeling sprung up for Yukiteru, he recognised it as strange. Foreign. Unnatural.

Something in him twisted at the thought, a horrified revulsion that burned through his veins. He didn't like the feeling, the fact that it felt like his own choice but he could clearly define to himself that it wasn't. That he wasn't attracted to Yukiteru at all. But no matter how strongly he resisted, a voice still called at the back of his mind...calling to him...

He decided he would pay Yukiteru a visit soon. It was what friends did, after all.

The bell rang and Akise jolted out of his seat before anyone else. The boy scooped up his things in one hand and walked towards Amaya's desk, where she had just begun to gather everything. Akise grabbed her bag for her (the only thing she had to carry) and watched as she looked up in annoyance.

The annoyance wired across her face transformed into something like appreciation before reverting back to a ticked off expression. Akise and Amaya had both agreed they didn't want anyone to know about their relationship just yet, to spare them from the comments made by Hinata and Mao. She frowned when she realized that Akise held her bag to make fun of her height.

"Give that back!" She said crossly, hiding the smile. Akise held the bag out to her and when she reached to take it, he held it above her head. She scowled and jumped up to try and rescue her bag from his grasp. Akise grinned, trying to hold in the laughter and failing. Amaya scowled and jumped up higher, snagging her bag. He yanked it out of her grasp, and the two realised Hinata and Mao watched them, laughing at Amaya's predicament. Mao took pictures.