Chapter 20: The Runaways

"Where would you like to go, Mr. Humphrey?" I ask as Dan and I tumble into the back of the limo.

"How about Bali?" He says grabbing a bottle of champagne from the ice box. "We could walk on the beach, go diving in the Indian Ocean, visit the Tirtagangga water palace...."

"I'll call the pilot." I say giving him a kiss. "Driver, can you please take me back to my suite I have to pick up our passports." The driver mumbles an agreement and starts up the car. Grabbing two glasses, I pour two glasses of champagne for Dan and myself.

After passing Dan the other glass I raise mine. "To our life together." Tilting the glass back I take a swig and feel the bubbly liquid make its way down my throat.

"That was the cheesiest toast I have ever heard." Dan smirks and we both laugh. "How do you think your editor will take you not being at the editor?"

"Not very well I guess, but it was almost over anyway. Plus I have a good reason for leaving." I say giving him a peck.

"Should we tell anyone that we left?" Dan asks pulling out his phone. "They might worry that we were kidnapped, again."

"I think that we will be fine, plus you if something happens again I have you." I say and he gives me a weak smile. "I mean you found me last time, who says you can not do it again?"

"Celia,  I have to tell you something about that." Readjusting in his seat to face me he takes my hands. "I didn't find you when George took you, Nate did. I did not want to look like a bad boyfriend, so I asked Nate if I could take the credit. I know I shouldn't have but....."

"I know Dan." He pulls back shocked. "Chuck told me one day after you left to go get coffee, I played along with it because it seemed to make you happy."

"So you knew this whole time?" I nod my head. "Well at least I got it off my chest."

"It was really nice of Nate to let you lie about it. You know he really is a nice guy."

"Do you have anything else to get off your chest? All my secrets have already been posted on Gossip Girl."

Dan pulls back from me and seems to hesitate before speaking. "No, I think that that is pretty much it." He takes a slow sip of his champagne and from his expression he is hiding something, but before I could answer The limo makes a sudden halt as the driver pulls to the side of the road.

"We are here Ms. Bass." The driver says through the window and I hand Dan my glass.

"I will go get our passports, do you need me to get you anything?" I say but Dan says he needs nothing so I start to head for the door. Before exiting I turn to Dan and smile. "I love you."

"I love you too." He says smiling and I exit the car.

Heading into the hotel I pull my card out of my clutch and head straight for the elevator. Stepping into the elevator I quickly press the button for my hotel floor and head up straight to my floor. As the door opens to my room, I make my way to my bedroom. The maid must have come in today since the entire room is spotless. Not a single thing is out of place except at my desk I see Dan's laptop open on my desk. He had been staying over for a couple of nights but I had not seen him working on his laptop the entire time. I walk up to the laptop and click the enter button on the screen lights up. The screen seems to be open on a word document, it is probably just one of his projects so I decide to give it a look.

I sit down in the chair and scroll to the first paragraph.

Dear Serena,

   I haven't written a letter like this in a while, but I feel like I need to get this off of my chest. I think I might still have feelings for you. When we were together everything finally seemed to fit together, like we were meant to be together.

I shut the laptop screen, not wanting to read anymore of it. I stood up from the chair, and felt as if everything had been taken from me. My happiness, my future, my love, everything just seemed to disappear within a single paragraph. Tears rolled down my face, and I could barely make myself stand up. Dan was still into Serena, that is what he was hiding from me. I rush out of the room and straight for the elevator, wanting to escape from the laptop. Clicking the button once again I pull out my phone and see a new message pop up on my screen.

Nate: Hey are you ok, I saw you rush out of the party?

Me: Yes

Nate: Where are you?

I pause. Should I tell him?  Before I am able to answer, the elevator hits the bottom floor and I slip the phone back into my clutch. Heading for the door, I see that the limo is still waiting at the front of the hotel. Anger floods through my body and I go straight to the limo. Opening the door, I see no one in the back seat of the car and my heart breaks all over again.

"Where did he go?" I shout.

The driver pulls down the separation window. "I am so sorry Celia, he got out almost right after you left muttering about some business he had to take care of."

I slam the door shut and fall back into the seat, devastated. It is one thing to still be in love with your ex-girlfriend, but leaving me alone in a limo, is a whole other form of torture. I scramble in the back of the car looking for even a trace of Dan, only finding a small handwritten note trapped under the seat. Pulling it out, I open it to reveal Dan's handwriting sprawled all over it. 

Meet me in Central Park, I have to show you something important. -Dan 

Exiting the limo, I practically sprint all the way to park, not even taking a break. I make my way to the only place I knew he would be, the bench where we met just before Thanksgiving. 

Dan was sitting next to the bench, and just after my arrival he stood from his place. Marching up to him, I throw the note in his face, furious. "You have a lot of explaining to do!" He looks at me, confused. "I found the letter to Serena on your laptop, I know that you are still in love with her."

He looks at me, astonished. "You found that?" I nodded, tears forming in my eyes. "You were not meant to see it, but I guess you needed to know someday."

"I 'needed' to know?" I gawk. "You have got to be kidding me? Do you realize that in letter, you tell Serena you love her?"

Dan nods. "I wrote that letter six months ago, Celia." The tension in my shoulders lessens. "I wrote it just before our anniversary. If you read till the end of the letter you would know that I tell her that I am moving on, and moving ahead with you." 

"Really?" I muttered. "Why did you go here? We were on our way to paradise." 

Dan swallows, "I was keeping this for tonight, when we arrived at Bali, but I thought that the spot where I first fell in love with you should be where I proposed to you. There is something that I need to tell you, before I propose." 

"What is it Dan?" I ask, ready for him to get down on one knee. "What do you need to tell me?"

"I don't know how I can put this." He says grabbing onto one of my hands. "I don't know how I can say this without hurting you." Dan starts to become more and more nervous, his eyes seem to dart around until they finally make their way to the ground. 

I smile at him, trying to ease his nerves, whatever he is trying to tell me must be important. "Dan, you know you can tell me anything. What is wrong?" 

The next thing he says breaks my heart. "I am Gossip Girl."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! I know that was an awful chapter, but don't you worry there is more drama to come in the future! 

I want to thank all of you so much for reading, liking, commenting, and everything else because it makes me so very happy to know that you guys are loving reading this. 

I hope you enjoy and make sure to like and comment what you think should happen!