Six

•Michael's POV•

I hope Gavin got my text. I hope he made it out alive. I hope he's in the hospital right now, getting better as I drive.

By the time I hit Tennessee, it was night again.

I found a shitty little motel on the east side of Tennessee. After I got my room, I plopped down on my bed. While checking my phone for texts from Geoff, I saw no reply from Gavin.

My vision suddenly got blurry and my throat felt tight, like I couldn't breathe. I made no attempt to hide the tears forming in my eyes. I felt the salty liquid streak down my cheek and saw it drip onto my phone.

No! Michael, don't cry! He could still be alive!

Maybe.

The only thing I knew to do was call Geoff.

"Geoff?" I said. My voice sounded raspy from trying to hide my crying.

"Hey, buddy. Where are you?" he asked.

"I made it to the east edge of Tennessee, but I was speeding whenever I could."

"That's good. You made it pretty far in one day."

"What'd you tell the guys when they realised I was gone?" I was truly hoping that he told them about the plane crash so I didn't have to.

"I told 'em Gavin's plane crashed and you were going to see what happened." he replied.

Great!

"Thanks, Geoff. I'm gonna get some rest so I can get up and drive early tomorrow."

"Okay. Bye, dude."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone and checked what time it was.

11:37

I set an alarm for 5:30 on my phone. I wasn't happy to get up so early, but I needed to find out if Gavin was okay.

After all, I love him. And I need to know if he loves me back.

I let my eyes flutter closed, then fell asleep.