Chapter 1

Troyes P.O.V

I rub the mark imprinted in my wrist that's identical to everyone else's who's under the age of 21. 1598123, no one knows why it's those numbers but no one seems to question it. We are all born with this and we all have to die with this.
"-did you hear me?" My mother says leaning over the counter.
"Uh, no what?"
"Ugh! I was saying that I've gotten a lot of timeQ's so we can stock you up for your 21st birthday. Jesus Troye why won't you listen this is a big deal!"
"We have heaps of timeQ's! You have 28 years for crying out loud! Some people out there have parents who only have a few more days! We should be giving some to them?!" I say out of anger.
"Troye! Do you want to die?! We are rich and we have good jobs, those outsiders out there that only have days left don't do anything!"
I can never win with these arguments. I then grab my phone and walk out of the house without saying another word to her. As I walk, I always look at the people walking near me or beside to see how long they have. One has two years, one has 10 years, and another has 45 years for god sake. And then there are the outsiders, they are the ones that can't afford a house because their timeQ's are too small so they live out in the street waiting for their time to come, or begging off 'the life people' as everyone calls us. The life people are just the ones who have years and years of timeQ's, like me. Well, like I'm going to be. I always walk to the park when I go out, and I always watch the outsiders and how they live. This whole world has been destroyed by the thing stuck in everyone's arms like a tattoo that chooses when you die. I sit in the same park bench every day and just watch everything. It's the perfect view. I can see the outsiders all sitting along a broken down hedge, on the other side little mountains made of ashes and rocks that all the kids play in not realising how crap their life will be when they get older and in the middle, all the life people walking around with their purses, handbags, phones and just the expensive stuff like that. Our society is going down the drain, every single one of the life people only care about getting more years while they let the outsiders rummage everywhere to get timeQ's and watch them slowly die out. As I'm lost in my thoughts I hear someone clear their throat. I get a little shock and look up at this man standing above me.
"Mind me sitting here?" He says pointing to the open space next to me. I just nod and slide over because no one ever sits here and I'm always here alone. As he sits I quickly take a look at his wrist to see how long he has, he has a reasonable amount of 6 years. I quickly look away and stare at the trees that used to hold beautiful colours and flowers but are now browning and dying as it branches break off more and more by the curious kids everyday because no one cares to help them in anyway. He then says
"It's sad isn't it..."
I just turn to him and listen to what he means
"...to see parents dying while their kids can't do a thing because they don't have timeQ's yet."
He then looks down at the book he holds in his hands and calmly smiles.
"Yeah, it's horrible isn't it." I manage to speak out.
"Well, that's just life. Did you know that there's a myth that it hadn't always been like this. That people would just worry about dying of old age, natural causes, and all that stuff without having to worry about what you hold in your wrist. It all happened in 23rd or 24th century" He says looking at me now.
"Oh."
He then does a little chuckle and holds his hand out and says
"Franta, Connor Franta that is."
I take out my hand to shake his and reply
"Mellet, Troye Mellet that is."
He then looks back at his book and silently laughs to himself. There's a little bit of silence when I say
"I've never seen you around."
He then smirks and replies
"It's weird like that, you expect to know everything and everyone when you never actually realise you're just worrying about something so bad, that everything else in life just disappears and all you remember is just the worry and pain you felt."
I feel like I've found a guy who thinks of everyone and everything like their his own like I do. Well not his OWN, own.
"So what's, what's in that book of yours." I say staring into his pure green eyes.
"Oh, this is just a notebook I carry around which I write all my thoughts and make them into poems. Just the typical nerdy stuff." He says looking down and holding his book close. I'm a curious person so I obviously want to know what's inside until he quickly says
"Ok, Troye. I have to go now. See you later?"
My facial expressive changes from surprised to understanding and say
"See you later."
He then smiles and walks off holding his book right up to his chest. He seems pretty nice but mysterious all at the same time. I feel I need to know more about this Connor guy. I then decide to walk around the park watching the grey skies, listening to the kids playing in the ash, and smelling the same old dusty smoky texture in the air. The myths that Connor was talking about seem too good to be true. Blue skies, green trees, pretty flowers, clear breathable air, and not having a 'tattoo' tell you when your overdue date is.
I wish life was that easy.

Hey, what's up, hello!
Sorry not sorry

Ok this is the start of my new book
As you can see I'm great at these parts
Ok talk to you later.