xvi

oikawa was able to persuade the doctors to let iwaizumi accompany him to the entrance ceremony of their new high school.

they sat together, iwaizumi's fingers laced through his, tissues at the ready like oikawa always had.

"in case i pass out," he had mumbled.

oikawa had smiled. holding hands wasn't going to prevent iwaizumi from falling. but he liked holding his hand, so he agreed.

he didn't pass out, but he did rest his head on oikawa's shoulder for support. oikawa understood. he was tired. probably also nervous.

after the ceremony he drove to the hospital with him, and spent the rest of the day lying on his hospital bed and talking about possible events in their high school life.

"tooru..." iwaizumi said, looking at him. "what if i don't make it?"

"what do you mean?"

"there's a chance..."

"no," oikawa said firmly, sitting up. "no way. i'm dragging you to that graduation ceremony even if it's the last thing i ever do." he looked at iwaizumi. "what does iwa mean?"

"rock..?"

"exactly. and rocks are immune to this fucking cancer. they're stronger. and so are you."

"tooru..."

"no, i don't want to hear about the 'possibilities', i want to hear about the things we're gonna do together after the fucking cancer cells have finally been destroyed. and that will happen."

"tooru," iwaizumi said, taking his hand. "i meant to say thank you."

oikawa looked at him, not knowing what to say.

"we're gonna kick cancer's sorry ass."

tooru looked at him with tear-filled eyes.

"yeah. we are."