xxiv

iwaizumi's condition was worsening slightly.

oikawa's heart ached whenever he fell asleep during their conversations, which happened quite a lot. his heart skipped a beat and his mind panicked for a split second. luckily, saeko was always around the corner, and she had those nurse-like qualities that managed to appease his worries.

"how's he been?" oikawa was stopping by again, and iwaizumi was already asleep when he arrived, but he stayed in the hope that he would wake up later that evening.

"asking for you," she chuckled. "his sense of time is messed up from all that damn sleeping. whenever i walk in, the first thing he asks is if you're there or not." oikawa blushed slightly.

"you're a great boyfriend, oiks," she grinned at him. "he absolutely adores you."

"i just try my best," oikawa said shyly. "i don't want him to slip into depression. if he can't be healthy, i want him to at least be happy."

"look, boy, i'm gonna be honest with you," saeko said, sitting down next to him at his desk. "the kid's got a lot of symptoms. a lotta kids who've got the chronic kind have mild symptoms. he seems to be suffering close to an acute level, but the cancer cells aren't present enough for him to be classified as that." she sighed deeply. "i worry about the kid sometimes. wonder if he slips away whenever he falls asleep. you do too, right?"

oikawa nodded reluctantly.

"yeah, that's natural. but with all the symptoms, he's one of the strongest fighters i've seen. only freaked out when his hair got cut off. hasn't been depressed and hasn't lashed out except for once. you keep him stable, oiks. you're a good kid. the best medicine he could have. the happier he is, the stronger he'll feel. and that plays a damn big part as well."

"do you think he'll live?" oikawa asked shakily.

"i think the kid's gonna fight his best. cancer's not an easy opponent. but he's got some damn nice muscles and the best cheerleader he could have. if anyone can do it, it's him."