xliii

oikawa was going insane. he had exams coming up, an incredibly important tournament that'd determine if he got a scholarship or not, and the constant reminder that any minute now iwaizumi could be gone.

he was working day and night. mostly because he couldn't sleep and his thoughts only kept him up. so he worked through math problems until he fell asleep finally, absolutely exhausted.

he practiced as hard as he could, anything to keep his mind off of iwaizumi. he even picked up receiving, and perfected his skills until he rivaled even watari.

but he was overworking himself. his knee had started to throb again and the bags under his eyes were unmissable.

he couldn't live without iwaizumi. thinking of it made him sick.

saeko eventually forced him to sleep whenever he arrived. she had a hospital bed out for him. iwaizumi was sleeping most of the time anyway, so they'd sleep hand in hand, until iwaizumi woke up and oikawa would use their time to talk about things that most definitely did not have anything to do with death, the future, or them.

he'd read to him a lot. iwaizumi loved literature, after all. oikawa didn't understand half of it, but it seemed to calm iwaizumi down considerably.

he enjoyed spending time with iwaizumi, even though he was constantly reminded of the unavoidable near future.

the sun never broke through the clouds again.