xxiii

"look, oikawa, you've missed practice all week. how am i supposed to consider you part of the team if you won't even show up?" his coach asked with a sigh. "they're catching up to you. your skill level is high, but you're missing the team bond that they're developing."

"i'm sorry, coach," oikawa said. "it's just that i need to go to iwa-chan—"

"i think, oikawa, it'd be better if you completely focused on either your boyfriend or volleyball."

"bu—"

"we're aiming for nationals here. as much as i'd like you on the team, i think it's best if you take the year off."

oikawa bit his lip.

"yes sir."

he exited the club room and got changed, ready to head over to the hospital.

the train ride wasn't long if he walked the last stop. he needed to be careful with his money. he knew that his parents wouldn't mind helping him out, but if he wasn't going to be practicing anyway...

he sighed as he entered the large, white building, and headed for the elevator. he reflexively pushed the button, watching the number on the small screen increase until he reached iwaizumi's level, and then headed over to his room.

he was about to open the door when he heard a voice behind him.

"hey, hey, you!"

he turned around to see a blonde woman running up to him.

"excuse me?"

"you're iwaizumi's friend, right?"

"yeah, i'm his boyfriend," oikawa replied, concern starting to sink in. "what's wrong?"

"nothing too bad. he just needs his rest right now," she grinned. "name's saeko tanaka. i'm his new nurse. you'll be seeing a lot of me in the near future."

"oikawa tooru," he replied. "is he okay?"

"the meds just need to kick in. he'll be up in about two hours, if you wanna wait."

"is there a place i can do my homework?"

"sure thing. you can study in my office," she replied. "follow me."