xxxix

iwaizumi was definitely declining.

he had more nosebleeds, and he was puking a lot due to the chemotherapy. oikawa now owned a special nurse's outfit at the hospital which he changed into every time he arrived to avoid infecting iwaizumi.

everytime he saw him, he got a little closer to crying.

he was skinny. he looked weak. he had gotten to the point where sitting up was a challenge that could easily take fifteen minutes to accomplish.

he did smile though. every single time oikawa walked through those doors, he smiled and welcomed him happily.

oikawa knew he was lying to him, and to himself.

the cancer was now mostly everywhere. he had to get bone marrow taken out regularly so they could attempt a transplant. they considered a donor, but the risk would be too high. they just had to pray that the transplant wouldn't bring back cancer cells again.

iwaizumi was running out of energy rapidly. he'd get tired so easily that oikawa had started singing him to sleep around six in the evening. just talking could exhaust him.

oikawa was sick of watching him suffer. but he held on to a little strand of hope and positivity. he couldn't collapse now.

he wasn't going to let himself collapse after ten years of keeping it together.