xvii

iwaizumi managed to go to school for half days after that. things went uphill slowly, but uphill nevertheless.

oikawa was noticeably more cheerful whenever iwaizumi was around. they hung out with hanamaki and matsukawa, but neither of them could fill up the space iwaizumi left when he wasn't present. no, he was too special for that.

"iwa-chan!" oikawa said enthusiastically when iwaizumi arrived around twelve to join for final classes.

"hey, tooru," iwaizumi smiled, receiving his hug. "what's up?"

"oh, i was just talking with mattsun and makki-chan. by the way, my mom made a killer pork cutlet for my bento, wanna try?"

"of course," iwaizumi replied, walking with him to their seats. the teacher had put their desks together, next to the wall, so if iwaizumi ever passed out he wouldn't collapse on to the floor. as distracted as the two were by each other during classes, they managed to maintain great grades, and it helped iwaizumi's progress.

matsukawa and hanamaki, in front of them, were sitting sideways so they could join in on their conversation.

it wasn't until oikawa was feeding iwaizumi pork cutlet that hanamaki finally asked.

"okay, be real. are you guys a couple or not?"

iwaizumi nearly choked, but managed to swallow the food anyway, oikawa patting his back.

"look what you've done," he scolded hanamaki, rubbing iwaizumi's back gently. "be careful!"

"hey, it had to be asked," he defended, hands in the air. "you two are basically cuddling during class."

"no, no, iwa-chan and i are best friends, is all."

"bro, issei and i have been best friends since birth and we don't cuddle during class or feed each other."

"that's not valid. you two've made out before."

"what?"

"oh didn't i tell you?" oikawa smiled innocently. "they made out at makki's house."

"hey, we were both in the mood and we were alone, why not?"

"makki, that's not normal, really."

oikawa and hanamaki continued their discussion, whilst iwaizumi watched the brunet intently. he never thought about it, but he never defined is feelings for oikawa, at all. and now that hanamaki mentioned it, he didn't know how to feel about the whole situation.

maybe he did like oikawa.